ianc

ianc

I want to disable websockets in my browser (e.g Chrome, Firefox, etc) to experience the JS fallback (longPoll) in my LiveView application.

You think it would be simple to turn off websockets somewhere, but it’s not!

Note that I don’t want to “hack” the fallback in app.js by altering longpollFallbackMs or similar approaches. I want to experience the fallback as a user would if their network connection blocks websockets.

Thanks for any suggestions and hopefully I’ve just overlooked something.

Showing Posts 1 to 8

ErikNaslund

ErikNaslund

Would it work for you if you blocked requests to a specific URL or URL pattern?

If that’s the case, then you can simply right click a URL in the “Network” tab of the Chrome dev tools and select “Block request URL”.

You can also add URLs and URL patterns manually on the “Network request blocking” tab.

ianc

ianc OP

I hadn’t tried that… but it doesn’t seem to work.
After blocking the socket URL, it still seems to send messages over it.

Update: I also tried adding wildcards to block the socket URL, to no avail.

ErikNaslund

ErikNaslund

My bad. A quickly googling suggest that this option only blocks requests like those done with XMLHttpRequest or fetch. :frowning:

Using an extension like https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/url-blocker/jpakadanffilpnjijlmmkljogkfaognd does seem to work (I just tested it). It’s not nearly as nice to work with, and that particular extension might not be allowed by Chrome for much longer…but it works for now, and maybe there’s a nicer extension out there which you could make use of.

ianc

ianc OP

Thanks for taking a look!

I can’t get that extension working. I set up a regex to block the websocket, but when I reload the page with the extension enabled, the WS continues to pass messages when I inspect the payloads.

ErikNaslund

ErikNaslund

Hmm, how weird.

I actually did get it to block the WS connection using that extension (it showed as blocked in the dev tools, and the app reacted to it)…but now that I’m trying again I can’t get it to work either :frowning:

ianc

ianc OP

Perhaps there’s a way to get Bandit to block websockets? It’s interesting how difficult it is!

ErikNaslund

ErikNaslund

Like, you could always comment out the socket "/live" from your endpoint.ex, or make a plug that refuses the connection…then you definitely won’t get any ws connections :slight_smile: . I feel I’m treading a bit into “I don’t want to “hack” the fallback” territory here though.

bokiro

bokiro

I also looked for options to block the creation of a websocket connection for my project. I did not find anything suitable. The most convenient way for me was to use the DevTools “override” tool. I changed the JS-file in terms of creating a websocket connection.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews