boiserunner

boiserunner

My app lets people connect their Garmin, Apple Watch, etc, to track activities, join virtual races, and create adventure activity plans. I have a leaderboard which is backed by a LiveView, in turn subscribed to a pub sub channel.

I’m using |> stream to add leaderboard data into my LiveView. When a new activity comes in from the provider, I broadcast a message with the new aggregate data for that runner.

And like magic, my leaderboard LiveView updates. There’s just one problem. Sorting!

If a runner overtakes another, the leaderboard is out of order. One simple fix is just to recompute the whole thing. But that feels inefficient — I can’t rely on stream_insert anymore.

Yet sorting at the template level also seems like it violates the design intention of streams.

Any thoughts on the “right” way to resolve this? Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

garrison

garrison

The stream_insert/4 function accepts an :at argument to specify where to insert an item. I’m not sure if it works for updates though, and the docs seem to suggest it does not although it’s a bit vague.

However, you should be able to call stream_delete/3 and then stream_insert/4 in that case to forcibly relocate the item in the DOM.

frankdugan3

frankdugan3

A quick thought is to continue using streams to add/update new data, but use a JS hook client-side to resort after update. You could do this if you added data-sort-value={@your_sorting_value} to the leader board items, and after the resort, trim excess elements.

The advantage of this is that you don’t need to track which position it belongs in server-side.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews