jimmyhuang

jimmyhuang

I have a GraphQL server implemented with absinthe, dataloader and phoenix.

A sample query is as follows
What I anticipate is that the query lists the first 10 books in database and for each book, the first 10 chapters of the book.

{
  listBook(from:0, size:10){
    books {
      id
      name
      url
      chapters(from: 0, size: 10) {
        id
        name
        book{
          id
          name
          book {
            id
          }
        }
      }
    }
    total
  }
}

I am using dataloader to load chapters field.

However, the generated sql is not expected, instead of returning first 10 chapters for each book, the underlying sql actually returns first 10 chapters of all chapters of the first 10 books.

How can I achieve my goal? Make my GraphQL API return first 10 chapters of each book.

[debug] QUERY OK source="books" db=60.4ms
SELECT b0."id", b0."html", b0."info", b0."name", b0."preface", b0."text", b0."url", b0."info_html", b0."preface_html", b0."parent_id", b0."inserted_at", b0."updated_at", b0."parent_id" FROM "books" AS b0 WHERE (b0."parent_id" = ANY($1)) ORDER BY b0."parent_id" LIMIT $2 OFFSET $3 [[291289, 291066, 291009, 290794, 290647, 290409, 290196, 157109, 155130, 153693], 10, 0]

If I do not use dataloader but use a custom resolver, I can achieve my goal but that results in 1+10 queries because for each book the application needs to query database for its chapters.

Is there a way to use dataloader to batch load chapters?

The complete source code is here GitHub - huangjimmy/wikisource: A wikisource mirror site in Elixir and Phonenix · GitHub

Showing Posts 1 to 2

maartenvanvliet

maartenvanvliet

It’s a tough problem but should be doable with dataloader and sql window functions. I’ve been meaning to take a crack at it but haven’t come around to it.

jimmyhuang

jimmyhuang OP

I come up with a solution and it does work. I do use PostgreSQL window function. The solution will only work with PostgreSQL.

1 I add a virtual field chapter_number

lib/wikisource/book.ex

schema "books" do
    field :chapter_number, :integer, virtual: true

2 I inject a chapters: true parameter so that datasource.ex knows a query is a chapter query

lib/wikisource_web/graphql/schema/types.ex

    field :chapters, list_of(:book) do
      arg(:offset, non_null(:integer))
      arg(:first, non_null(:integer))
      resolve(dataloader(DataSource, :chapters, args: %{chapters: true}))

3 I construct the query with window function

I only select a subset of fields because some field is too large and costly to load.

lib/wikisource_web/graphql/datasource.ex

  def query(queryable, params) do
   case params do
      %{chapters: true, offset: offset, first: first} ->
        last = offset + first
        query = from r in queryable, select: r, select_merge: %{chapter_number: fragment("row_number() over (PARTITION by parent_id order by \"name\")")}
        from r in subquery(query), select: %Wikisource.Book{id: r.id, name: r.name, info: r.info, preface: r.preface, info_html: r.info_html, preface_html: r.preface_html}, where: r.chapter_number >= ^offset and r.chapter_number < ^last
      %{order_by: order_by, offset: from, first: size} -> from record in queryable, order_by: ^order_by, offset: ^from, limit: ^size
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews