ddoronin

ddoronin

Hey folks! I want to add documentation for individual fields on a struct/typedstruct, and I’m wondering about available options? I’m new in elixir.

typedstruct do
  @typedoc "Foo struct is so foo"

  # the foo field is so foo
  field :foo, String.t()

  # the bar field is so bar
  field :bar, String.t()
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

thelastinuit

thelastinuit

You can create custom typespec and document with this

msimonborg

msimonborg

The convention is to create a type called t using the @type attribute.

defmodule MyApp.Foo do
  
  defstruct [:foo, :bar]

  @typedoc "My Foo data type."
  @type t :: %__MODULE__{foo: String.t(), bar: String.t()}

  @spec new_foo(keyword) :: t
  def new_foo(opts) do
    struct!(__MODULE__, opts)
  end
end

You can reference your new type from other modules with MyApp.Foo.t() just as you would String.t().

Typespecs

Defstruct#types

ddoronin

ddoronin OP

typedstruct will generate the t() under the hood. My question was more about individual fields on a struct. Those are :foo and :bar in my example:

  # the foo field is so foo
  field :foo, String.t()

  # the bar field is so bar
  field :bar, String.t()

What you are suggesting is something like this:

@typedoc "the foo field is so foo"
@type foo::String

@typedoc "the bar field is so bar"
@type bar::String

typedstruct do
  @typedoc "Foo struct is so foo"

  field :foo, foo
  field :bar, bar
end

Obviously I don’t want to create a type for every single field just to document it, because I have dozens of fields and hundreds of structs.

msimonborg

msimonborg

Sorry I guess I misunderstood your question! I’m not familiar with that library, I thought it was pseudocode :slight_smile:

IMO, t() is self-documenting as far as what types you expect in the fields. If I wanted more documentation I would add it to the top-level @typedoc. e.g.

@typedoc """
The Foo type.

## Fields

  * `:foo` - A string that says "foo"
  * `:bar` - A string that says "bar"
"""

Maybe there’s a feature in the typedstruct library, but that’s what I would do in vanilla Elixir

sbuttgereit

sbuttgereit

Assuming that you’re creating documentation with ExDoc vs. trying to create simple code comments that describe the field I’ll document the individual fields directly in the struct’s @typedoc. So your:

becomes something like:

@typedoc """
Foo struct is so foo

## Fields
  * `:foo` - this is doc for foo.

  * `:bar` - this is doc for bar.
"""

To my knowledge, there’s no great way to document the fields individually that will render in something like ExDoc or iex h like you might expect/want.

sbuttgereit

sbuttgereit

I should note that this assumes this is for public functions/modules. When the code being documented is private, I’ll just use normal code comments to include any helpful documentation with the understanding that won’t render in ExDoc’s output.

msimonborg

msimonborg

btw, this was not what I was suggesting, my original suggestion is outlined in my second comment, but this is a reasonable approach if you want thorough documentation for your fields which may be themselves complex types. It is probably overkill if your fields are built-in types

ddoronin

ddoronin OP

yep, this is for public modules, and I’m using ExDoc.

ddoronin

ddoronin OP

@msimonborg Gotcha! It was probably mixed up in my head with another answer given by thelastinuit. It seems like @typedoc with the “Fields” section is the most common way to document struct fields.

msimonborg

msimonborg

No worries :slight_smile: It’s also the same documentation approach for function options and the like

@doc """
Make a new Foo.

## Options

  * `:foo` - A string that is so foo.
  * `:bar` - A string that is so bar.
"""
@spec new_foo(options :: keyword) :: t
def new_foo(options), do: struct!(__MODULE__, options)

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews