eksperimental

eksperimental

I’m improving some documentation in Elixir, and in order to do so, I need to dynamically build a list of atoms, but without using string interpolation.
so :#{variable} is not what I am looking for, neither String.to_atom/1, nor List.to_atom/1, as I am trying to test the use of atoms without quotes.

I would say macros is the way to go but I haven’t managed to make it work.
Does anybody know how? Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 6

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Can you elaborate on why?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’m curious as to ‘why’ as well, the only ways to make atoms is a remote message from the mesh, compiling a module with the atom, or String.to_atom or its kin as far as I recall?

eksperimental

eksperimental OP

Sure.
I’m correcting the documentation, which have changed for OTP 20 onwards

diff --git a/lib/elixir/lib/list.ex b/lib/elixir/lib/list.ex
index 7c2678890..a0a12ecab 100644
--- a/lib/elixir/lib/list.ex
+++ b/lib/elixir/lib/list.ex
@@ -748,15 +748,19 @@ defmodule List do
   @doc """
   Converts a charlist to an atom.
 
-  Currently Elixir does not support conversions from charlists
-  which contains Unicode codepoints greater than 0xFF.
+  As of Erlang/OTP 20, Elixir supports conversions from charlists which contains
+  any Unicode codepoint. Earlier versions did not support convertions from
+  charlists which contains Unicode codepoints greater than 0xFF.

and the “Syntax Reference”, Which I’m trying to go thoroughly through, particularly the first codepoint of an atom, without using quotes. The page states states:

Atoms

Atoms in Elixir start with a colon (:) which must be followed by a non-combining Unicode character or underscore. The atom may continue using a sequence of Unicode characters, including letters, numbers, underscore, and @. Atoms may end in ! or ?. See Unicode Syntax for a formal specification.

All operators in Elixir are also valid atoms. Valid examples are :foo, :FOO, :foo_42, :foo@bar and :++. Invalid examples are :@foo (@ is not allowed at start), :123 (numbers are not allowed at start) and :(*) (not a valid operator).

If the colon is followed by a double- or single-quote, the atom can be made of any character, such as :"++olá++".

eksperimental

eksperimental OP

Atoms in Elixir start with a colon ( : ) which must be followed by a non-combining Unicode character or underscore.

For instance, the non-combining charracter part is no longer valid

dom

dom

If the goal is to test the parser, you could generate a string of code then compile it.

NobbZ

NobbZ

What has this to do with dynamically building atoms? This looks more like quoted vs. unquoted atoms.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews