How to embed external html file inside of LiveView render

I am using Phoenix Swoosh to generate emails for my app, but I want to show the user what the automated email will look like.

My LiveView render function looks like this:

defp render_welcome_template(assigns) do
    email_data =
      %{email_header: "Moderator has Approved your Request!",
        to_username: "MEMBER_USERNAME",
        group_name: assigns.group_name,
        from_username: assigns.moderator.username,
        reply_link: GroupMail.build_reply_link(assigns.moderator.id, assigns.group_id),
        group_link: GroupMail.build_group_link(assigns.group_id)
      }
   Map.put(assigns, :email_data, email_data)
    ~H"""
      <h2>Edit Welcome Template</h2>
      <div>Below is the email message that will be sent when the moderator approves a new member. </div>

***** THIS IS WHERE I WANT TO EMBED THAT HTML BUT THE FOLLOWING DOESNT WORK:
        <%= render "myapp_web/templates/group_mail/approved_group_member.html", @email_data %>
    """
  end

I was using advice from @LostKobrakai and @Kurisu from this post, but I think that render function only works in a standard Phoenix app where you have access to Conn. I only have access to Socket.

The error I get is: undefined function render/2

How can I pull in the html being used for Swoosh and render it with assigns just for display?

Worst case, I can just copy the html into my LiveView, but that creates a support headache. I risk modifying the HTML file and not updating the liveivew version. Hoping there is a way to embed that HTML into my Liveview render.

You can use Phoenix.View.render/3 directly for this:

<%= Phoenix.View.render MyAppWeb.GroupMailView, "approved_group_member.html", @email_data %>

You would need to define a MyAppWeb.GroupMailView module that does use MyAppWeb, :view,

1 Like

Thanks

Ahhhh … I was looking at Phoenix.Controller.render. I didn’t realize there was also a render in Phoenix.View! For anyone else who runs into this issue:

First see solution given by @trisolaran. That fixed the problem.

In reading up more about Phoenix.view.render, I ran across this page on Sharing Views and Templates. I completely missed this because I was looking at Phoenix.Controller.render hexdocs.

Thank you @trisolaran for the solution!