MeerKatDev

MeerKatDev

Is there a way to empty a file which is not closing and opening with :write?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

NobbZ

NobbZ

Delete and touch?!

MeerKatDev

MeerKatDev OP

Ok, I meant something less expensive. I was thinking more to use IO, otherwise I would just close and open it.

lucaong

lucaong

Depending on the write mode, you might not need to do anything. If you open the file in :write mode, not combined with read, the file will be truncated upon opening. Otherwise, you could truncate it yourself (tip: check functions in Erlang file if the ones in the Elixir File module are missing what you need)

MeerKatDev

MeerKatDev OP

I thought it would be understood by the context: I would like to use IO because the File will be used repeatedly while it’s opened, so I don’t want to open and close it 2-3 times a minute. that’s why I’m searching for a solution less expensive than using file. But thanks, meanwhile I will search in Erlang’s docs.

lucaong

lucaong

You can use the Erlang file module function position/2 and truncate/1 to set the position at the beginning of the file and truncate it:

file |> :file.position(:bof) |> :file.truncate()
antoine

antoine

If you are persisting erlang terms, dets may be a good fit.
It have a delete_all_object.

Also, looking at the code of the dets delete_all_objects function point me here: file — OTP 29.0.2 (kernel 11.0.2)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews