ypconstante

ypconstante

I’m trying to enable the native coverage from OTP 27, but so far nothing has worked.

I’ve added erlc_options: [:debug_info, :line_coverage, {:line_coverage, true}] to the project config and set the environment variable ERL_AFLAGS="+JPcover true", but it didn’t do anything.

I added these lines to a test to see what is happening:

      dbg :code.coverage_support() # true
      dbg :code.get_coverage_mode() # :line_counters
      dbg :code.get_coverage_mode(mod) # :none

All project modules have :none as the coverage mode, only if I run with :cover that it changes to :line_counters.

Is there a way to have coverage without :cover compiling the modules? Locally :cover compile takes 7 seconds, so I’m trying to find a way to speed it up, or to have coverage without using it.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

D4no0

D4no0

Doesn’t the compilation get cached?

ypconstante

ypconstante OP

It doesn’t, after running time mix test some_test_file.exs --cover multiple times,

Test output:

Finished in 0.1 seconds (0.1s async, 0.00s sync)
22 tests, 0 failures

Time output:

mix test some_test_file.exs --cover  58.22s user 12.81s system 449% cpu 15.812 total

:cover compiling takes 7 seconds, and then the rest of the time is spent on creating the summary and HTML generation. On CI --cover adds a whole minute, which is the main reason I wanted to enable this native coverage.

ypconstante

ypconstante OP

I did make some progress, but still didn’t manage to make it work

Environment variables

export ERL_COMPILER_OPTIONS="[line_coverage,force_line_counters]"
export ELIXIR_ERL_OPTIONS="+JPcover line_counters"
    dbg :code.coverage_support() # true
    dbg :code.get_coverage_mode() # :line_counters
    dbg :code.get_coverage_mode(mod) # :line_counters
    dbg mod.module_info()[:compile][:options] # [:no_spawn_compiler_process, :from_core, :no_core_prepare, :no_auto_import, :line_coverage, :force_line_counters]
    dbg :code.get_coverage(:line, mod)  # []

:code.get_coverage is returning an empty list, but if I init :cover it returns the expected data.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

I believe cover will use native coverage by default. The native coverage speeds up the time for running tests, it may not necessarily speed up the time for compiling nor building the reports.

bjorng

bjorng

Erlang Core Team

Do you see any executable_line instructions if you disassemble the compiled module?

This should be the way to do it from Elixir:

:beam_disasm.file(mod)

Here is an extract from a disassembly of one of my Erlang modules:

     [{function,t,1,2,
                      [{label,1},
                       {line,1},
                       {func_info,{atom,t},{atom,t},1},
                       {label,2},
                       {executable_line,2,1},
                       {executable_line,3,4},
                       {call_only,1,{t,'-t/1-lc$^0/1-0-',1}}]},

Yes, cover uses native coverage on systems that support it.

ypconstante

ypconstante OP

:beam_disasm.file(:code.which(mod)) doesn’t have executable_line instructions, is there any other configuration that I need to add to add them?

bjorng

bjorng

Erlang Core Team

No, that’s correct. That will tell the Erlang compiler to instrument the code. However, it seems that the way the Elixir compiler invokes the Erlang compiler, line_coverage instrumentation will not work for Elixir code.

To confirm, I changed your setup to:

export ERL_COMPILER_OPTIONS=[line_coverage,force_line_counters,time]

That will instruct the Erlang compiler to print the name of each pass it executes.

If I then compile an Erlang module, the first few passes will be shown as follows:

Eshell V15.2.4 (press Ctrl+G to abort, type help(). for help)
1> c(t).
Compiling t.erl
 remove_file                   :      0.000 s       0.9 kB
 parse_module                  :      0.006 s       2.5 kB
 transform_module              :      0.000 s       2.5 kB
 lint_module                   :      0.005 s       2.5 kB
 beam_docs                     :      0.002 s       2.5 kB
 remove_doc_attributes         :      0.000 s       2.5 kB
 compile_directives            :      0.000 s       2.5 kB
 sys_coverage                  :      0.001 s       2.8 kB
 expand_records                :      0.002 s       2.8 kB
 core                          :      0.007 s      20.9 kB
 sys_core_fold                 :      0.003 s      14.7 kB
 sys_core_alias                :      0.001 s      14.7 kB

The sys_coverage pass is the pass that adds the executable_line instructions.

If I compile using the Elixir compiler, the sys_coverage pass is not run:

ex(1)> c "test.ex"
Compiling /Users/bjorng/git/otp/test.ex
 get_module_name_from_core     :      0.000 s      25.5 kB
 core_lint_module              :      0.000 s      25.8 kB
 sys_core_fold                 :      0.000 s      20.9 kB
 sys_core_alias                :      0.000 s      20.9 kB
 core_transforms               :      0.000 s      20.9 kB

That’s why there are no executable_line instructions in the generated BEAM code.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews