theoks
I have this body for a request, which in Elixir is represented like this:
body = %{
password: "my\Password"
}
I use Poison.encode! to convert it to JSON and what it is being sent is this:
%HTTPoison.Request{
body: "{\"sftp_password\":"\myPassword\"}
}
If I try and escape it with a double backslash:
body = %{
password: "my\\Password"
}
this is what is being encoded and sent in the request:
%HTTPoison.Request{
body: "{\"sftp_password\":"\my\\\\Password\"}
}
I also tried to convert the string to a charlist and it just encodes the code points, not the actual characters.
Is there any way to encode just one backslash, or to put it more generally: how do I pass string literals when encoding with Poison or in Elixir in general?If your question is related to Phoenix or Nerves, please post it in the Phoenix or Nerves Questions / Help section. Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 9 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
You can treat
~S"foo\"exactly the way you can treat`foo\`in Go, except for the newlines.The 4 backslashes happend because of multiple layers of encoding/inspecting.
"{\"password\":\"my\\\\Password\"}"is the inspected result of the string that is returned byPoison.encode!/1.{"password":"my\\Password"}is what actually would be sent over the “wire”. Here the backslash is still doubled, because that is how JSON wants it to be.Nicd
I don’t understand this part. Looking at Swift’s docs, it has a similar string syntax to Elixir and also has backslash escapes, so you would need to write
"foo\\bar"to get a string that containsfoo\bar. Or am I mistaken?theoks
Thanks for the explanation. The 4 backslashes threw me off. It makes sense when I don’t think in terms of literals so I probably need to re-wire my Swift/Go brain
al2o3cr
Try this in your browser’s Javascript console:
From RFC 8259:
benwilson512
You don’t actually have one backslash in the original string. See:
Notice how the output is just
"myPassword". The backslash is gone there, it doesn’t have anything to do with Poison’s JSON encoding.\is itself the escape character in a string. If you want one in there literally, you need to escape it:Notably, if you’re reading in external text that has a slash, this will not be lost:
theoks
The problem I face is when I have one backslash, not two:
theoks
It still does not work with just a single backslash:
I am relatively new to Elixir I come from Swift and Go where there are string literals and I find it weird that there isn’t such a thing in Elixir.
I wonder how would one know where a backslash may occur during the lifetime of an app. Let’s say you have a user’s input with one backslash (eg a text field on a mobile app). Will I as the backend dev need to use the sigil in every field that accepts user input in case someone inserts a backslash somewhere?
LostKobrakai
body = %{password: ~S(my\Password)}and you don’t need to escape the backslash. Sigils can be wrapped by many different characters so unless you use all of them you should find one, which isn’t problematic: Syntax reference — Elixir v1.20.2fuelen
It is correctly encoded with double backslash and only one backslash is sent in request.
Multiple backslashes are used because both Elixir and JSON use them for escaping special characters.
This is just visual representation in terminal.
Last result is a JSON that will be sent to the server.