jkwchui

jkwchui

I was very impressed at how easy it is to crack open and do stuff with sqlite in Livebook v0.11; exsqlite gives a conn that everything else in Livebook is built around.

There are many sqlite databases out there, and utilities that can export Airtable to sqlite. I think being able to manipulate this data at the application level would open up many interesting uses (an Elixir Datasette alternative). What I don’t know where to start is bringing in Ecto to define schemas. The standard protocol involves setting up config / repos etc. Is this possible within just a livebook? Where should I start reading up on that?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

jonatanklosko

jonatanklosko

Creator of Livebook

Hey @jkwchui! If you want to define Ecto schemas in the notebook itself, here’s an example that may give some ideas:

# Ecto

```elixir
Mix.install([
  {:ecto, "~> 3.10"},
  {:ecto_sql, "~> 3.10"},
  {:postgrex, "~> 0.17.3"},
  {:kino, "~> 0.11.0"},
  {:kino_db, "~> 0.2.4"}
])
```

## Setup

```
docker run --rm -it -e POSTGRES_USER=postgres -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=postgres -p 5432:5432 postgres:13.2
```

## Repo

```elixir
defmodule Repo do
  use Ecto.Repo, otp_app: :my_app, adapter: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres
end
```

```elixir
Kino.start_child({Repo, url: "postgres://postgres:postgres@localhost/postgres"})
```

## Queries

```elixir
Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query!(Repo, "create table users (id int)")
```

```elixir
Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query!(Repo, "insert into users values (1)")
```

```elixir
Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query!(Repo, "select * from users")
```

## Ecto migration

```elixir
defmodule Migrations.AddWeatherTable do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def up do
    create table("weather") do
      add(:city, :string, size: 40)
      add(:temp_lo, :integer)
      add(:temp_hi, :integer)
      add(:prcp, :float)

      timestamps()
    end
  end

  def down do
    drop(table("weather"))
  end
end
```

```elixir
Ecto.Migrator.up(Repo, 1, Migrations.AddWeatherTable)
```

## Schema

```elixir
defmodule Weather do
  use Ecto.Schema

  schema "weather" do
    field(:city, :string)
    field(:temp_lo, :integer)
    field(:temp_hi, :integer)
    field(:prcp, :float, default: 0.0)

    timestamps()
  end
end
```

```elixir
weather = %Weather{temp_lo: 0, temp_hi: 23}
Repo.insert!(weather)
```

```elixir
Repo.all(Weather)
|> Kino.DataTable.new()
```
13
Post #1
jkwchui

jkwchui OP

Thank you @jonatanklosko. That sequence of Repo definition was all I needed! Taking this forward, Ash’s new AshSqlite datalayer works very well, and by defining actions and code_interfaces like

actions do
    defaults [:create, :read, :update, :destroy]

    read :top do
      prepare build(limit: 10, sort: [{:views, :desc}])
    end
  end

It becomes possible to work with the data with functions like MyData.Entries.top!(), then bring that into Explorer data frames, then use the smart cells for interactive explorations.

My early hunch is that this grows smoothly from exploration in Livebook, to standalone Mix project, and then drop-in to an existing Phoenix app.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews