wlminimal

wlminimal

What I am doing is this

  1. In Analytics page, I display Chart using Chart.js and stats.
  2. There is 1 chart and 1 stat displayed, but when an user clicks "stat"button in order list, I want to update stat and chart in the page.

So in step 2. I did it to update stats(just simple number) using defhandler. and it updated assigns value so I can see a stat. but chart doesn’t update. because I need to execute Analytics.buildChart() again to update a chart.

That was imported and executed in app.js like this

import AnalyticsChart from "./analytics-chart"
let chartElement = document.getElementById("analyticsChart");
chartElement && AnalyticsChart.buildChart();

So I tried in same defhandler like this.

defhandler show_stats(socket, sender) do
# some code here

poke socket,
            total_sent: total_sent,
            deilvered_count: deilvered_count,
            undelivered_count: undelivered_count,
            total_clicks: total_clicks,
            recent_order: order

socket |> exec_js("AnalyticsChart.buildChart()")

end

And as I expected It doesn’t work.

So how can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

How do you use this assigns? I mean, how AnalyticsChart.buildChart() reads this assigns values?

What is the return value of this exec_js/2?

wlminimal

wlminimal OP

How do you use this assigns? I mean, how AnalyticsChart.buildChart() reads this assigns values?

it reads from html page using javascript like this in analytics-chart.js

import Chart from "chart.js"

let AnalyticsChart = {
  
  buildChart() {
    let ctx = document.getElementById("analyticsChart");
    let labels = ["sent", "delivered", "undelivered", "clicks"];
   
    let total_sent = parseInt(document.getElementById("total-sent").dataset.totalSent);
    let delivered = parseInt(document.getElementById("deilvered-count").dataset.deliveredCount);
    let undelivered = parseInt(document.getElementById("undelivered-count").dataset.undeliveredCount);
    let clicks = parseInt(document.getElementById("total-clicks").dataset.totalClicks);
    let counts = [total_sent, delivered, undelivered, clicks];
    console.log("Is chart working?");
    let chart = new Chart(ctx, {
      type: 'doughnut',
      data: {
        labels: labels,
        datasets: [{
          data: counts,
          backgroundColor: [

            'rgba(54, 162, 235, 0.5)',
            'rgba(255, 206, 86, 0.5)',
            'rgba(255, 99, 132, 0.5)',
            'rgba(75, 192, 192, 0.5)'
          ]
        }] 
      },
      options: {
        
      }
    });
  }
}

export default AnalyticsChart

What is the return value of this exec_js/2?

error] Drab Handler failed with the following exception:
** (Drab.JSExecutionError) AnalyticsChart is not defined
    (drab) lib/drab/exceptions.ex:16: Drab.JSExecutionError.result_or_raise/1
    (drab) lib/drab.ex:323: anonymous fn/7 in Drab.handle_event/6

I just switched to bang version exec_js!/2

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

The values you set in the poke command are the Phoenix assigns. How are they bound to the elements? Like, how is “total_sent” assign bound to the element with ID “total-sent”?

You may use Drab to re-execute JS (see ‘Scripts’ chapter here), but obviously it would work only in the JS parts rendered with templates.

I am guessing that AnalyticsChart is not global? Try to set it up with something like window.AnalyticsChart = AnalyticsChart;

grych

grych

Creator of Drab

The better docs for scripts are here.

wlminimal

wlminimal OP

The values you set in the poke command are the Phoenix assigns. How are they bound to the elements? Like, how is “total_sent” assign bound to the element with ID “total-sent”?

like this
<p id="total-sent" data-total-sent="<%= @total_sent %>"><%= @total_sent %></p>

then I get the values in js like this

let total_sent = parseInt(document.getElementById("total-sent").dataset.totalSent);
grych

grych

Creator of Drab

Cool, so it should work. Updating the “data-” attribute should update the dataset property as well. You may check it in the console with:

document.getElementById("total-sent").dataset.totalSent

after doing the poke. You just need to find a way to run the update chart function.

wlminimal

wlminimal OP

Yes, I just found a way to run the update chart function and did it like this in defhandler

socket |> exec_js!("AnalyticsChart.update()")

and it worked.
Thanks!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews