tim2CF
Hey!
I’m playing around with macro and I’m thinking - is it possible to completely expand quoted expression (including all private and public macro)?
Simplest example which I actually can’t fully expand:
defmodule Hello do
defmacrop foo, do: {:y, [], nil}
def bar(x, foo()), do: x + y
end
for example let’s try to use Macro.expand/2
quote do
defmodule Hello do
defmacrop foo, do: {:y, [], nil}
def bar(x, foo()), do: x + y
end
end
|> Macro.expand(__ENV__)
|> Macro.to_string
|> Code.format_string!
|> IO.puts
result is
:elixir_module.compile(
Hello,
{:__block__, [],
[
{:=, [],
[
{:result, [], Kernel},
{:__block__, [],
[
{:defmacrop, [context: Elixir, import: Kernel],
[{:foo, [context: Elixir], Elixir}, [do: {:{}, [], [:y, [], nil]}]]},
{:def, [context: Elixir, import: Kernel],
[
{:bar, [context: Elixir], [{:x, [], Elixir}, {:foo, [], []}]},
[do: {:+, [context: Elixir, import: Kernel], [{:x, [], Elixir}, {:y, [], Elixir}]}]
]}
]}
]},
{{:., [], [:elixir_utils, :noop]}, [], []},
{:result, [], Kernel}
]},
[{:q, nil, :_@0, q}],
__ENV__
)
interesting line is
{:bar, [context: Elixir], [{:x, [], Elixir}, {:foo, [], []}]},
where foo is AST of macro call, but not result of this call (should be {:y, [], Elixir})
Is there any way to expand it and get resulting quoted expression somehow?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
Macro.expandonly expands the specific AST node passed in, not every node within it. I generally do this to fully expand something as much as Elixir’s AST goes (won’t touch special forms and so forth):Results in:
I.E. pipe like
|> Macro.prewalk(&Macro.expand(&1, __ENV__))instead.Do note, when compiling a module it is the actual
:elixir_module.compilecall that expands macros ‘within’ a module, so when you are quoting an entire module definition then macro’s defined within it aren’t expanded until that itself is run. It will expand things in proper scope though otherwise.tim2CF
Thanks! But in your example there is still this
foomacro, which is not expandedAs I understood the only way to get fully expanded AST is
:elixir_module.compile?OvermindDL1
That’s because it is not a macro,
:fooat that point is a function invocation of something calledfoothat is not in scope at that point. A macro cannot be expanded unless it is in scope.Nah, expanding is fine, you just have to make sure it is all in scope first, and
def blah...inside the ast itself does not bring anything into scope at that time as it needs to be in scope ‘prior’ to the expand call.