kasima

kasima

Hello everyone, I am trying to export a xlsx file, and I find a library elixlsx. I find the example here Phoenix/Elixir — Export data to XLSX , but it is too old and I can’t find any other example. I don’t know what should I do because phoenix 1.7 remove view. Can anyone share a example how to use it

Showing Posts 1 to 5

arcyfelix

arcyfelix

I find your question a bit confusing.
Do you want to render an Excel file or allow it to be downloaded?
These are two very different things.
Could you please clarify?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Phoenix did pull out the specific modules around Phoenix.View, but you can do both:

  • Pull in phoenix_view as a dependency and continue like before
  • Use the plain function based view layer phoenix generates since 1.7 with distinct modules per format
kasima

kasima OP

generate a excel file and download it

kasima

kasima OP

I find your answer and finally convert it to phoenix 1.7, thank you :grinning:How to convert this simple view to a Phoenix 1.7 view?
here’s my solution:

defmodule ExcelWeb.PostController do
  use ExcelWeb, :controller

  def index(conn, _params) do
    posts=[
      %{id: 1, name: "first", title: "first", content: "first"},
      %{id: 2, name: "second", title: "second", content: "second"},
      %{id: 3, name: "third", title: "third", content: "third"}
    ]

    conn
    |> put_resp_content_type("text/xlsx")
    |> put_resp_header("content-disposition", "attachment; filename=posts_report.xlsx")
    |> render("report.xlsx", %{posts: posts})
  end
end
defmodule ExcelWeb.PostXLSX do
  alias Elixlsx.{Workbook, Sheet}

  @header [
    "ID",
    "Name",
    "Title",
    "Content"
  ]

  def report(posts) do
    report_generator(posts)
    |> Elixlsx.write_to_memory("report.xlsx")
    |> elem(1)
    |> elem(1)
  end

  def report_generator(%{posts: posts}) do
    rows = posts |> Enum.map(&(row(&1)))
    %Workbook{sheets: [%Sheet{name: "Posts", rows: [@header] ++ rows}]}
  end

  def row(post) do
    [
      post.id,
      post.name,
      post.title,
      post.content
    ]
  end
end

and remember add the format in Myapp_web.ex

formats: [:html, :json, :xlsx]
eahanson

eahanson

Also check out Exceed, which makes it easy to generate an Excel spreadsheet as a stream which helps when your document has a lot of data, so that you can start sending the document immediately.

Exceed is a high-level stream-oriented library for generating Excel files, useful when generating spreadsheets from data sets large enough that they may exceed available memory—or the available memory that one wants to dedicate to building spreadsheets.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews