Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background
I have a release file inside a tarball. However I want the final release to have some additional files and to move things around, for the convenience of the user.
This means I need to do 3 things:
- Extract the contents of the tarball into a folder
- Add the extra files to said folder and move some items around
- compress everything again and call it a day
Problem
While I have it clear on how to execute step 2, using File and friends, I have tried several ways to do steps 1 and 3 and I failed.
I have tried using :zip, but it returns a bad encoding error, probably because the file is not a zip but tar instead.
I am also aware of File.open("path", :read, :compressed), but I don’t want to read anything, I want to extract it into a new folder.
I also checked Unzip but it does not fit my use case.
Question
How can I extract a tar file into a folder and compress a folder into a tar file?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Do we have an elixir module/equivalent ?
Using that I have the following error:
So I am guessing I am not passing the correct options, since Windows can extract the file perfectly.
dimitarvp
I’m guessing it has to be decompressed first.
akash-akya
Since are trying to extract gziped tar file
.tar.gz, you have to decompress as well.Fl4m3Ph03n1x
I was able to extract the file using:
This will extract the tar file into the
tmpfolder. Once there I can do the rest !