alexslade

alexslade

I have Document resource with attribute :labels, {:array, :string}. I’m trying to build a filter that will match a single label.

E.g.

%{labels: ["foo"]} 

This returns documents with on a single “Foo” label. I want all documents that have at least “Foo”, and other labels. I have this example from the source

               |> Ash.Query.filter(title in cool_titles)

But I can’t seem to get this reverse format to work in a map-based filter. (I’m using that because I’m filtering with user input, so wanted to keep using Ash.Filter.parse_input/2).

Thanks for any advice.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

alexslade

alexslade OP

I might have answered myself here.

The docs warn about using Ash.Filter.parse_input/2:

Security Concerns
If you are using a map with string keys, it is likely that you are parsing input. It is important to note that, instead of passing a filter supplied from an external source directly to Ash.Query.filter/2, you should call Ash.Filter.parse_input/2. This ensures that the filter only uses public attributes, relationships, aggregates and calculations, honors field policies and any policies on related resources.

But looking at the source for this function, it looks like this only does checking for the filter keys. That is, if I’m searching on a public attribute (Labels) using user input for filter values, then this function doesn’t provide anything and I’m fine to just use an expression directly.

Is that right?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

It depends :slight_smile:

When you have things like field policies or related resource policies, we can tell when a field from parse_input/2 is used and will use that to adjust the filters to scope them to what a user can see. If you do Ash.Query.filter(related.field in ^user_suppleid_list), we don’t apply a filter that “the related thing is visible to the user in the first place”, nor replace the value with the expression corresponding to field policies.

My recommendation is to create a calculation on your resource called has_label, and use that.

calculate :has_label, :boolean, expr(^arg(:label) in labels) do
  argument :label, :string, allow_nil?: false
end

then you can do:

Ash.Filter.parse_input!(Resource, has_label: %{input: %{label: "foo"}, eq: true}) 

The docs should definitely improve in this regard. Especially documenting how to do calculations with input (that input is a special field to provide arguments to the calculation)

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Something we could also do to make this better would be to make an input_ref template helper, so you could say Ash.Query.filter(^label in ^input_ref(:labels)) to get the same protections around field access while using the expression syntax.

alexslade

alexslade OP

Thanks for the pointers :heart:

(I updated the PR to reflect all this, and the calculation works nicely)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews