apoorv-2204

apoorv-2204

Hi,
I want to fix the issue in my codebase where I can upload any binary or executable file in live view or in general file api input in Phoenix.

I have already added restrictions to only accept files like PDFs, PNGs, and JPEGs.

I also want to perform an antivirus scan. What should I do? Is there a library in Elixir for it?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Zurga

Zurga

I do not know of any Elixir library that will do virus scanning, but using the System.cmd function you can call an external virus scanner to scan the uploaded file.

Exadra37

Exadra37

While I don’t know of any lib to do virus scanning I want to call your attention to the fact that if your restrictions to the file type are based on the extension, then they can be bypassed. Instead, a better approach is to perform this check based on the mime type of the file, but not based on the one passed in the request headers, you need to do it yourself on your application.

Another thing to have in mind is that, before processing it in your application, you may want to copy the uploaded file to a temporary path with a random name. If you expose the uploaded file to the public, then you should use a different name from the one given by the client.

More best pratices can be found at File Upload - OWASP Cheat Sheet Series.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You can also use GitHub - evadne/gen_magic: Fantasia in Elixir — Binary-level file content identification, powered by libmagic · GitHub to check magic numbers for files (as in the file contents) for the filetypes you expect.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

If your focus is primarily image file types then Image safely opens those files and errors if they aren’t valid image files (irrespective of the suffix). This is because libvips, which does all the work, is very conservative and security conscious about what it considers a valid image file.

apoorv-2204

apoorv-2204 OP

https://github.com/ramortegui/clamxir

Is virus scan will be enought? or do we need to do something else also.
can we use clamav in prod servers/

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews