sabri
Hello
I need to generate a big CSV file, that might has thousands of entries, how can I run concurrent processes to handle this task and all write to the resulted file at the same time?
Is there an advice? what is the recommendation here?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Marked As Solved- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
You can stream into a file without having it all in memory. “thousand entries” really isn’t that many though.
Also Liked
benwilson512
It isn’t really a problem. A single process is perfectly capable of writing to a file as fast as the hard drive will allow as long as it can get data fast enough. In Logger there is a single process that owns the file, and then other processes that need to write logs send that log process lines (short version). There are optimizations there where ets can be used to communicate or manage back pressure but that’s the rough idea.
hauleth
But without parallelism. If sequentially then of course that you do not need to keep everything in memory at once.
hauleth
There is no such possibility, as in the end you will be locked on the writing anyway (writes to the single file must be sequential). So if these “thousand entries” do not fit in RAM then your only option is to write it to separate files and then join these files. If it fits in the memory then you can build
iodatain memory and then dump it into a file. However I think that speedup will be marginal, as this operation is probably IO bound, not CPU bound, so parallelisation will have marginal impact there.Last Post!
kumaran33
Ah that makes sense, Thanks