arnodirlam
Hi!
I want to match an exception in a rescue block, matching it to several exception modules.
One of the modules is not defined (because I forgot an alias) but neither the compiler, dialyzer, nor credo emit a warning about it.
defmodule ErrorHandler do
alias Errors.A
alias Errors.B
def handle_errors(fun) do
fun.()
rescue
error in A ->
{:hard_failure, error}
error in B ->
{:outage, error}
# undefined/unaliased module C but no warning emitted
error in C ->
{:transient_error, error}
end
end
Is it possible to have a warning emitted in such cases somehow?
If not, what would be the best place to introduce a warning like this, if this makes sense at all?
Thanks in advance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Well, there could be a
Cdynamically loaded at runtime, so there is nothing the compiler could complain about.dogweather
Yeah, I found this behavior shocking when I learned about it. The bottom line seems to be that an original BEAM core design is to support a highly dynamic runtime environment; where code can be swapped in and out (“dynamically loaded”). And the issue is, we’re using this system for a whole new set of kinds of apps which are static in nature. E.g., a CRUD Phoenix web app probably is designed to work only with the modules packaged with it at deploy time. And a static code update is easy in the modern era when we can e.g. re-deploy instantly to Heroku without any downtime.
Personally, I’d appreciate a way to flag my app as “non-dynamic”, and then get linking errors at compilation time.
I bumped into your problem in a different context: I want compile errors from router.ex, but everything compiles fine. (?)
josevalim
I have posted this on another thread but, for completeness, if you don’t want your code to compile in those cases, you can enable warnings as errors:
Or if you want to enable it only for xref:
PS: @dogweather sorry that you are getting duplicate answers but since people may arrive here from Google, etc, I wanted to post an alternative to get an error on undefined modules.