1stSolo

1stSolo

I have a processing pipeline, and an ecto struct that gets passed around between stages. In each stage’s entry and exit, status field in the ecto struct gets updated and notification is sent to subscribers:

payload = my_ecto_struct
Absinthe.Subscription.publish(MyWeb.Endpoint, payload, status_changed: topic)

Herein lies a problem: publish/3 needs to take either absinthe resolution or list of fields: Absinthe.Subscription — absinthe v1.11.0

This is very different from queries and mutations where my Resolver could return {:ok, my_ecto_struct} and some magic happens behind the scene where fields are resolved from Ecto into Absinthe Schema’s object before it’s returned to GraphQL client in the form of Json.

So how do I get an absinthe resolution for my_ecto_struct so I can publish/3 it?

One of the reasons I need some translation from ecto to absinthe is because not all fields match between ecto schema and absinthe schema, for example, absinthe has user that is resolved via UserResolver using ecto schema’s user_id, and signature that is resolved from absinthe context and is not present in ecto struct.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

1stSolo

1stSolo OP

I was thinking of a custom resolver for subscriptions:


  object :my_struct_subscriptions do
    @desc "Subscribes to status changes"
    field :my_struct_status_changed, non_null(:my_absinthe_object) do
      arg(:id, non_null(:id))
      config(&MyStructResolver.sub_config/2)

      trigger([:status_changed], topic: fn _ -> "status_changed" end)
      resolve(&MyStructResolver.resolve_status_change/3) # <-------
    end
  end

and then in the Resolver,

  def resolve_status_change(value, args, _absinthe_resolution) do
      value
      |> Map.from_struct()
      |> Map.delete(:__meta__)
      |> Map.put(:user, User.get(value.user_id))
      |> Map.put(:status, StatusResolver.get_status(value))
      |> Map.put(:signature, SignatureUtils.generate(value))
    else
      nil
    end
    {:ok, value}
  end

But seems like publish/3 is used mostly for notifying on a handful of fields and not a large object, and I would hate to have to change this bit of code every time schema changes and making sure that every field that requires special handling and can’t be passed in verbatim is resolved separately. I wish there was a utility/helper function to resolve ecto struct into Absinthe object just like the framework already does it for mutations and queries…

1stSolo

1stSolo OP

Seems like publish/3 was not meant for sending an entire object, but rather a few select fields. So I abandoned the idea of resolving an Ecto struct and just sending a few fields that change as the object passes through the processing pipeline - like status and a few datetime fields.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

sntran
In my third year of college, around 2010, I found Erlang. A few years later, I found Elixir. I liked the ideas at once: many small proces...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews