fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’m wondering how I can retrieve an application’s version (as specified in its mix.exs)? I’d like to have that value available for logging.

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe
Application.spec(app_name)[:vsn]
11
Post #1
axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

This can also be written as Application.spec(app_name, :vsn), slightly shorter and if you mistype the key you will get a FunctionClauseError (could be better or worse depending on your use case)

florianb

florianb

I stumbled over this question while searching for a generic way to get app name and version for a container based build template.

You are able to get project information from your mix.exs using Mix.Project.config() which returns something like:

[
  build_embedded: false,
  build_per_environment: true,
  build_scm: Mix.SCM.Path,
  config_path: "config/config.exs",
  consolidate_protocols: true,
  default_task: "run",
  deps_path: "deps",
  erlc_paths: ["src"],
  erlc_include_path: "include",
  erlc_options: [],
  lockfile: "mix.lock",
  preferred_cli_env: [],
  app: :my_shiny_app,
  version: "0.1.0",
  elixir: "~> 1.12",
  elixirc_paths: ["lib"],
  compilers: [:gettext, :yecc, :leex, :erlang, :elixir, :app],
  start_permanent: false,
  aliases: [
    setup: ["deps.get"],
    "assets.deploy": ["esbuild default --minify", "phx.digest"]
  ],
  deps: [
    {:phoenix, "~> 1.6.0-rc.0", [override: true]},
    ...
  ]
]

I use this to get necessary project information during the build process without the requirement of prefilling environment variables like APP_NAME etc:

$ mix run --eval "Mix.Project.config()[:version] |> IO.puts()"
0.1.0
$ mix run --eval "Mix.Project.config()[:app] |> IO.puts()"
my_shiny_app
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews