fchabouis
I would like to know if there is a way, in a mix project, to get information about where a function is defined?
I would like, given a module name and function name, to know that this function is defined line 8 of foo.ex file. I guess it is possible to find information like this, as we get lines number when running tests or for compiler warnings.
Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
What exactly you are trying to achieve? You may look into ElixirLS sources how they do it.
fchabouis
I would like to create a mix task, taking one of my website url, and that would output the file and the line of the controller function that is called by that url. I am tired of going to the router file, see which module and function is called by the route, go that module and look for the corresponding function.
hauleth
You can try to extract that information from the
Code.fetch_docs/1. It will not always be 100% precise (as if there is documentation, then it will point to the line for documentation), but works well enough, especially in presence of multiple heads.LostKobrakai
Phoenix.Router — Phoenix v1.6.6 can give you the plug / plug_opts (action). But
MyController.action/2can be overwritten, so you cannot be sure thatMyController, :indexactually callsMyController.index/2.fchabouis
In my case, I don’t think there is any overwriting, so that would be good enough!

I found how to get the module and function name with
Phoenix.Router.route_info.Code.fetch_docs/1seems to be giving the line number in the file (thanks @hauleth ), I am just missing the name of the filehauleth
It is in the metadata of module itself. Just check out
module.module_info().fchabouis
Thanks, I have all the information I need
Phoenix.Router.route_infoto know which module + function is calledmodule.module_info()for the source file pathCode.fetch_docs/1for the line numberambareesha7
It deserve a blog post, once you have clear solution, if you have time
fchabouis
@ambareesha7 No blog post, but I made a PR on Phoenix that just got merged!
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/pull/4748
LostKobrakai
This is intersting. I’m wondering it this could also show all the places the route is referenced (with verified routes).