Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I am working on an Elixir desktop application, and I need it to adapt to the monitor/screen size of the user.
Using Elixir Desktop (GitHub - elixir-desktop/desktop: Building Local-First apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS and Android using Phoenix LiveView & Elixir! · GitHub), I would normally do something like this:

      {Desktop.Window,
       [
         # simplified for the sake of brevity
         title: "Market Manager",
         size: {940, 980},
         icon: "static/images/resized_logo_5_32x32.png"
       ]}

Where size will be the size (in pixels) of the window of the application.
This is all fine if all my users have monitors of the same size. However, this is not the case.

Problem

So I need to know the dimensions of the screen size of the user in order to create a Window that is, lets say, 60% width and 70% height.

Since the underlying library (Desktop) does not support relative sizes for the window afaik, I need to calculate them myself.

To this effect I found no library that gives me this.

Question

How can I find the screen dimensions ?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

D4no0

D4no0

Take a look at wxdisplay, it should be exactly what you are looking for.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

From the docs (wxDisplay — OTP 29.0.2 (wx 2.6)) I understand I need to:

_wx = :wx.new()
display = :wxDisplay.new()
{x, y, w, h} = :wxDisplay.getClientArea(display)

Being the first time I am using this library, do I really need the first line _wx = :wx.new()?
Am I missing something?

D4no0

D4no0

No idea, read some documentation on how this is done in wx, as this is just a erlang wrapper for wx library.

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

My guess is that it starts a process responsible for getting messages from requests, as in, a central point where everything has to go through. This is based on the docs:

However, I could not find any confirmation if my interpretation is correct, thus I asked.

dominicletz

dominicletz

Creator of Elixir Desktop

Yes, you’re right. you can typically also get the same effect by using :wx.set_env(env) using an existing wx_env for this there is a helper in Desktop.Env: Desktop.Env — Desktop v1.5.3

:wx.set_env(Desktop.Env.wx_env())
display = :wxDisplay.new()
{x, y, w, h} = :wxDisplay.getClientArea(display)
Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x OP

In my specific use case, I cannot use :wx.set_env(Desktop.Env.wx_env()) as the Desktop application has not yet started:

See my application.ex:

 def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      Telemetry,
      {Phoenix.PubSub, name: PubSub},
      Endpoint,
      Manager,
      %{
        id: Desktop.Window,
        start: {Desktop.Window, :start_link, [[
          app: :web_interface,
          id: WebInterface,
          title: "Market Manager",
          size: calculate_window_size(0.4, 0.8),
          menubar: MenuBar,
          icon: "static/images/resized_logo_5_32x32.png",
          url: fn -> "#{WebInterface.Endpoint.url()}/#{@landing_page}" end
        ]]},
        restart: :transient,
        shutdown: 5_000
      }
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: WebInterface.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

  @doc """
  Calculates the width and height for the window. Fetches the display
  information using :wx. Because we create a :wx server every time we call this
  function this is a heavy operation and should be used cautiously.

  Both percentages given must be > 0 and <= 1.
  """
  @spec calculate_window_size(float, float) :: {pos_integer, pos_integer}
  def calculate_window_size(width_percentage, height_percentage)
      when is_float(width_percentage) and width_percentage > 0 and width_percentage <= 1 and
             is_float(height_percentage) and height_percentage > 0 and height_percentage <= 1 do
    # Since Desktop has not yet started its wx server, we need to create one
    # to get the screen size first
    _wx_object = :wx.new()

    display = :wxDisplay.new()
    {_x, _y, total_width, total_height} = :wxDisplay.getClientArea(display)

    width_pixels = ceil(width_percentage * total_width)
    height_pixels = ceil(height_percentage * total_height)

    # we destroy the previously created wx server to save resources and avoid
    # a conflict with Desktop library
    :wx.destroy()

    {width_pixels, height_pixels}
  end

If I replace _wx_object = :wx.new() with :wx.set_env(Desktop.Env.wx_env()) then the application crashes on startup:

07:24:00.603 [notice] Application wx exited: :stopped
07:24:00.606 [notice] Application runtime_tools exited: :stopped
** (Mix) Could not start application web_interface: WebInterface.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: Desktop.Window
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {:noproc, {:gen_server, :call, [#PID<0.717.0>, :register_me, :infinity]}}}
            (desktop 1.5.1) lib/desktop/window.ex:109: Desktop.Window.start_link/1
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:414: :supervisor.do_start_child_i/3
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:400: :supervisor.do_start_child/2
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:384: anonymous fn/3 in :supervisor.start_children/2
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:1250: :supervisor.children_map/4
            (stdlib 4.1.1) supervisor.erl:350: :supervisor.init_children/2
            (stdlib 4.1.1) gen_server.erl:851: :gen_server.init_it/2
            (stdlib 4.1.1) gen_server.erl:814: :gen_server.init_it/6

Therefore, the solution I found (and works for me) is to create a temporary wx_object and then kill it, to avoid conflicts with Desktop, just like in the code snippet I shared above.

This also reminds me of one question:

  • @dominicletz what do you think aboud adding a function that takes in percentages for the windows size instead of absolute pixel values, like the function I created?
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews