hariharasudhan94
Lets say I have map like this fetching from my database
%{"_id" => #BSON.ObjectId<58eb1a7a9ad169198c3dXXXX>, "email" => "XXXX@gmail.com", "name" => "Hariharasudhan", "password_hash" => "XXXX", "phone" => "XXXX"}
and i have struct like follow
> @primary_key{:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true}
schema "users" do
field :name, :string
field :email, :string
field :phone, :string
field :password_hash, :string
end'
What is best way to convert Map to User Struct?
note:
I need to do this convertion on each request after authentication , so I need effective way to achieve this?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
manukall
That’s what Kernel — Elixir v1.20.2 does.
hariharasudhan94
@manukall If i try
struct(%User{}, %{"_id" => #BSON.ObjectId<58eb1a7a9ad169198c3dXXXX>, "email" => "XXXX@gmail.com", "name" => "Hariharasudhan", "password_hash" => "XXXX", "phone" => "XXXX"} )am getting output likeit doesn’t set any value from
maptostructmatteosister
Keys from the map must be atoms, as only atoms are allowed in struct definition.
hariharasudhan94
@matteosister yes, but map returned from db has string keys, Is there is any way to conevrt??
hubertlepicki
I use this code.
with original version coming from:
scottyweeks
Wow, I’m pretty surprised that this isn’t built in, or at least available as part of Phoenix since incoming json data is not exactly an unexpected occurence in that context. Sure, it’s simple to manually add, and I understand the point about using strings instead of atoms for external data. Still, from an ergonomic point of view it’s super weird because it forces you to repeat your attributes (and makes refactoring harder).
Or maybe I’m missing something? I’m still very much a newb when it comes to Elixir.
voughtdq
Poison let’s you do this ergonomically:
scottyweeks
Many thanks!
I knew I was missing something.
scottyweeks
Ah, as it turns out that won’t work for my purposes. I’m not trying to grab the values from a literal and when if I use
inspectto get a string dump of the map, it’s obviously not going to come out as proper JSON. Ah well. I’ll write a clever macro at some point, I reckon.mbuhot
Untested, but it seems like cast and apply_changes should do what you want:
%User{} |> Ecto.Changeset.cast(map, User.__schema__(:fields)) |> Ecto.Changeset.apply_changes()