idi527

idi527

Right now i get an unnecessary (to me) In field "signUp": in front of the actual message:

{
  "errors": [
    {
      "message": "In field \"signUp\": should be at least 3 character(s)",
      ...
      "key": "username"
    },
    {
      "message": "In field \"signUp\": should be at least 6 character(s)",
      ...
      "key": "password"
    }
  ]
  ...
}

But i would like to just get "should be at least 6 character(s)" in the "message" fields. Is this possible? Or is there some other way to access this message?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

idi527

idi527 OP

I’ve decided to add an additional "error" field to put the error message in.

{
  "errors": [
    {
      "message": "In field \"signUp\": should be at least 3 character(s)",
      ...
      "key": "username",
      "error": "should be at least 3 character(s)"
    },
    {
      "message": "In field \"signUp\": should be at least 6 character(s)",
      ...
      "key": "password",
      "error": "should be at least 6 character(s)"
    }
  ]
  ...
}
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey there! Your solution is definitely one approach.

By way of analogy, you can kind of think of GraphQL errors like exceptions in a regular programming language. They aren’t return values from the field, but rather field execution errors that bubble up to the top.

For errors like you’re trying to expose there’s another pattern that uses a union type to represent that a field may return validation errors. Here’s an example:


union :signup_result do
  types [:validation_error, :user]

  resolve_type fn
    %User{} -> :user
    _ -> :validation_error
  end
end

mutation do
  field :signup, :signup_result do
  end
end

And here’s how you’d use this in a document:

mutation SignUp {
  signUp {
    ... on ValidationError {
      __typename
      field
      message
    }
    ... on Success {
      # stuff
    }
  }
}

This is a lot like the difference between Elixir functions that return {:ok, result} | {:error, reason} and functions that simply return the result or raise.

idi527

idi527 OP

Thanks! It seems like i need to learn more about both Absinthe and GraphQL.

idi527

idi527 OP

I’ve tried the union operator but whenever I supply an invalid username/password pair so that to get ValidationError I keep getting this error instead

[error] #PID<0.726.0> running Web.Endpoint terminated
Server: localhost:4000 (http)
Request: POST /api
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (CaseClauseError) no case clause matching: %Absinthe.Type.List{of_type: :validation_error}
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/type/union.ex:91: Absinthe.Type.Union.resolve_type/3
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/phase/document/execution/resolution.ex:389: Absinthe.Phase.Document.Execution.Resolution.passes_type_condition?/4
        (elixir) lib/enum.ex:2718: Enum.do_all?/2
        (elixir) lib/enum.ex:814: anonymous fn/3 in Enum.filter/2
        (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1755: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
        (elixir) lib/enum.ex:814: Enum.filter/2
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/phase/document/execution/resolution.ex:174: Absinthe.Phase.Document.Execution.Resolution.resolve_fields/4
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/phase/document/execution/resolution.ex:133: Absinthe.Phase.Document.Execution.Resolution.walk_result/5
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/phase/document/execution/resolution.ex:186: Absinthe.Phase.Document.Execution.Resolution.do_resolve_fields/5
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/phase/document/execution/resolution.ex:133: Absinthe.Phase.Document.Execution.Resolution.walk_result/5
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/phase/document/execution/resolution.ex:101: Absinthe.Phase.Document.Execution.Resolution.perform_resolution/3
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/phase/document/execution/resolution.ex:78: Absinthe.Phase.Document.Execution.Resolution.resolve_current/3
        (absinthe) lib/absinthe/pipeline.ex:204: Absinthe.Pipeline.run_phase/3
        (absinthe_plug) lib/absinthe/plug.ex:158: Absinthe.Plug.execute/2
        (absinthe_plug) lib/absinthe/plug.ex:125: Absinthe.Plug.call/2
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/router/route.ex:161: Phoenix.Router.Route.forward/4
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/router.ex:277: Phoenix.Router.__call__/1
        (web) lib/web/endpoint.ex:1: Web.Endpoint.plug_builder_call/2
        (web) lib/plug/debugger.ex:123: Web.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (web) lib/web/endpoint.ex:1: Web.Endpoint.call/2

Here’s my schema.ex

  union :validation_result do
    types [list_of(:validation_error), :session]

    resolve_type fn
      %{token: _, user: _}, _ ->
        :session
      _, _ ->
        list_of(:validation_error)
    end
  end

  mutation do
    field :sign_up, type: :validation_result do
      arg :username, non_null(:string)
      arg :password, non_null(:string)

      resolve &Session.sign_up/3
    end

    field :sign_in, type: :validation_result do
      arg :username, non_null(:string)
      arg :password, non_null(:string)

      resolve &Session.sign_in/3
    end
  end

schema/types.ex

  object :user do
    field :id, :id
    field :username, :string
  end

  object :session do
    field :token, :string
    field :user, :user
  end

  object :validation_error do
    field :field, :string
    field :message, :string
  end

and resolver/session.ex

defmodule Web.Resolver.Session do
  import Comeonin.Bcrypt, only: [checkpw: 2, dummy_checkpw: 0]
  import Web.ErrorHelpers, only: [translate_error: 1]


  def sign_in(_parent, %{username: username, password: password}, _info) do
    case verify(username, password) do
      {:ok, token, user} ->
        {:ok, %{token: token, user: user}}
      {:error, _msg} ->
        {:ok, [%{message: "incorrect login credentials", field: :password}]}
    end
  end

  def sign_up(_parent, user_params, _info) do
    case Store.Users.insert(user_params) do
      {:ok, user} ->
        token = Phoenix.Token.sign(Web.Endpoint, "user", user.id)
        {:ok, %{token: token, user: user}}
      {:error, changeset} ->
        {:ok, translate(changeset.errors)}
    end
  end


  defp verify(username, given_password) do
    user = Store.Users.get_by(username: username)

    cond do
      user && checkpw(given_password, user.password_hash) ->
        token = Phoenix.Token.sign(Web.Endpoint, "user", user.id)
        {:ok, token, user}
      user ->
        {:error, :unauthorized}
      true ->
        dummy_checkpw()
        {:error, :not_found}
    end
  end

  defp translate(errors) do
    Enum.map(errors, fn {field, error} ->
      %{field: field, message: translate_error(error)}
    end)
  end
end

and the document I send

mutation SignUp($username: String!, $password: String!) {
  signUp(username: $username, password: $password) {
    ... on Session {
      token
      user {
        id
        username
      }
    }
    ... on ValidationError {
      field
      message
    }
  }
}
idi527

idi527 OP

I’ve replaced list_of(:validation_error) with :validation_errors

union :validation_result do
  types [:validation_errors, :session]

  resolve_type fn
    %{token: _, user: _}, _ ->
      :session
    _, _ ->
      :validation_errors
  end
end

added validation_errors type

object :validation_errors do
  field :errors, list_of(:validation_error)
end

and updated session.ex to return %{errors: ...} map

  def sign_in(_parent, %{username: username, password: password}, _info) do
    case verify(username, password) do
      {:ok, token, user} ->
        {:ok, %{token: token, user: user}}
      {:error, _msg} ->
        {:ok, %{errors: [%{message: "incorrect login credentials", field: :password}]}}
    end
  end

  def sign_up(_parent, user_params, _info) do
    case Store.Users.insert(user_params) do
      {:ok, user} ->
        token = Phoenix.Token.sign(Web.Endpoint, "user", user.id)
        {:ok, %{token: token, user: user}}
      {:error, changeset} ->
        {:ok, %{errors: translate(changeset.errors)}}
    end
  end

and now it works. The document I send now is

mutation SignUp($username: String!, $password: String!) {
  signUp(username: $username, password: $password) {
    ... on Session {
      token
      user {
        id
        username
      }
    }
    ... on ValidationErrors {
      errors {
        field
        message
      }
    }
  }
}

I wonder if there is a shorter solution which doesn’t require defining a new type.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I wonder if there is a shorter solution which doesn’t require defining a new type.

Unfortunately no not at the moment. The reason returning list_of(:valication_error) didn’t work is that list_of is really a type modifier as far as GraphQL is concerned, rather than a proper generic type of the form List<T>. Practically speaking I think the reason is that any given key that is requested should always be a list of a type or a regular type, but never sometimes one and sometimes the other.

We are looking to perhaps support some schema tools that would make this pattern less verbose and more first class, but at the moment I believe what you have here is the best for now.

rafbgarcia

rafbgarcia

I’m trying to implement this solution, and it’s kind of working but something unexpected is going on, I’m getting this error:

no function clause matching in anonymous fn/2 in Api.Graphql.Type.Order.__absinthe_type__/1
Show only app frames

This is my code:

# Api.Graphql.Type.Order

  object :orders_mutations do
    field :confirm_order, :confirm_order_result do
      arg :order_id, :integer
      resolve &Api.Orders.Order.confirm/2
    end
  end

  union :confirm_order_result do
    types [:error, :order]
    resolve_type fn
      :ok, %Order{} -> :order
      :ok, %{error: _} -> :error
    end
  end

I import this in my schema:

# schema.ex

  mutation do
    import_fields :orders_mutations
  end

And this is my resolver:

  def confirm(%{order_id: order_id} = args, _ctx) do
    case confirm(order_id) do
      {:ok, order} -> {:ok, order}
      {:error, error} -> {:ok, %{error: error}}
    end
  end

Any ideas on what’s going on?

FWIW this is what I see in the console: see gist

It returns a function with my return value and Absinthe.Resolution as a second param.

fn(%{error: "Nenhum motoboy disponível"}, #Absinthe.Resolution)
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey! You may be confused about what gets passed to the resolve_type function.

You should just be doing:

    resolve_type fn
      %Order{}, _ -> :order
      %{error: _}, _ -> :error
    end
rafbgarcia

rafbgarcia

That worked \o/ Thanks (for the fast answer too)!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews