CherryPoppins
Let’s say I have the below migration, schema and function. I want something_happened_at to be stored in postgres as UTC datetime object with the timezone offset. Right now I can only get the UTC time without offset into postgres datetime object. The datetime comes in as an iso 8601 string. DateTime.from_iso8601 sheds the offset when i convert it so I seemingly have no way to send to postgres with the offset other than storing the iso 8601 as a string and parsing it when I retrieve it. Any ideas on an alternate method to accomplish this?
MIgration
defmodule MyApp.Repo.Migrations.SomeMigration do
use Ecto.Migration
def change do
create table(:some_table) do
add(:user, references("users", on_delete: :nothing))
add(:something_happened_at, :utc_datetime)
timestamps()
end
end
end
Schema
defmodule MyApp.Something do
use Ecto.Schema
import Ecto.Changeset
alias MyApp.{User}
schema "some_table" do
field(:something_happened_at, :utc_datetime_usec)
belongs_to(:user, User, on_replace: :nilify)
timestamps()
end
def changeset(something, attrs \\ %{}) do
something
|> cast(attrs, [
:user_id,
:something_happened_at
])
|> validate_required([:something_happened_at])
end
end
Function to create or update entry
def do_date_thing(date) do
attrs = %{
something_happened_at: DateTime.from_iso8601(date)
}
# ...send attrs to changeset
# ...update or insert entry
end
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cmo
You need to provide the time zone to
DateTimefunctions if you want theDateTimeto have one that isn’t UTC.DateTimedoesn’t know if +10:00 is AEST, AEDT or something else. You can shift it usingshift_zoneafter you’ve parsed the string but it’s still going to have to be in UTC to put it in the database.Edit: sorry, didn’t meant to imply that
timestamptzstores the offset. You can see how they did it inCalectoif you want a single column for datetime and timezone, or do a separate column for it as Ben suggested.benwilson512
Neither
timestampnortimestamptzstores the offset in the DB. @CherryPoppins in such cases the offset needs to be stored in a dedicated column.LostKobrakai
Shameless plug: TzDatetime — tz_datetime v1.0.1
CherryPoppins
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I will take a look at each of them.