schnittchen

schnittchen

I’d like to get compiler warnings as errors in my tests, because in my experience, such warnings quite often uncover real bugs.

What I’ve tried before:

  • alias configuration in mix.exs, which exactly I forgot
  • test_elixirc_options: [warnings_as_errors: true, docs: false, debug_info: false] in project/0 in mix.exs, which looks like the correct thing to do, but did not have the desired effect.

By desired effect I mean that not only I want such warnings to be shown, but to cause an exit with a non-zero exit status.

This looks highly relevant: elixir/lib/mix/lib/mix/tasks/test.ex at v1.17.0 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub

The documentation some lines above suggests

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.17.0/lib/mix/lib/mix/tasks/test.ex#L210C11-L210C87

which does not work for me.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Ankhers

Ankhers

Your link has a comment right before it that mentions that the --warnings-as-errors flag is not passed down to tests. If you want to do this you are going to need two different steps.

$ MIX_ENV=test mix compile --warnings-as-errors
$ mix test

Personally, I dislike using things like --warnings-as-errors in dev and test. There are times when I want to compile or test my code when it is in an unfinished state. Though, I always run --warnings-as-errors within CI when I try to get my changes merged into the base branch.

rathorevk

rathorevk

Another way to set warnings as errors in tests, you can configure this in your test_helper.exs by adding:

# test_helper.exs
Code.put_compiler_option(:warnings_as_errors, true)
ExUnit.start()

check the official documentation: Code.put_compiler_option/2.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews