bibekp

bibekp

Hi folks,

I’ve lately been perusing Fred Herbert’s amazing Property_Based Testing Book

and I’ve used some of the principles here already → Merkle Property Test

Now, I’m wondering how property testing can be used for distributed/consensus algorithms, e.g. something like basic paxos? I wrote a small paxos library and was wondering what property testing here would look like. Here’s my test file so far..

Paxos Test

Curious …

Cheers,
Bibek

Showing Posts 1 to 3

bibekp

bibekp OP

Consensus can be defined as all nodes reaching the same state given a variety of (generated) inputs { in this paxos context, it would probably be time / proposal id and proposal val). I’m guessing that if more sophistication was required you could use PropCheck’s state machine properties to ensure all nodes (acceptors) are in the same state beyond what I currently have.

You could probably generate symbolic calls as the aforementioned book talks about in Chapter 4: Custom Generators e.g. a sequence of function calls that are generated with different proposal ids and values…

(From the book) ===> Testing prop_generators:prop_dict_symb() ..............! Failed: After 15 test(s). {call,dict,store,[-6,8, {call,dict,store,[46,-13, {call,dict,store,[2,-2, {call,dict,store,[22,-2, {call,dict,store,[-12,-2, {call,dict,new,[]}]}]}]}]}]}

Here’s some more on consensus in a popular context these days Consensus

Super smart people? @adkron @ferd

Just curious..

ferd

ferd

Author of Property-Based Testing with PropEr, LYSE, & Erlang in Anger

You would possibly have a chance of modelling things like consensus with property-based testing by using stateful generators, which are covered later in the book. I know Chris Meiklejohn has had some success doing fault injection with fancier annotated models, though he eventually reoriented his stuff towards other forms of analysis.

While you can find errors and get more confident that specific execution paths are rather safe, a property test is not exhaustive and never represents an actual proof. Generally for protocols people will prefer to rely on formal specifications (like TLA+) at a higher level.

bibekp

bibekp OP

Much appreciated Fred – quite intriguing!

TLA+ (pronounced as tee ell a plus , /ˈtiː ɛl eɪ plʌs/) is a formal specification language developed by Leslie Lamport. It is used to design, model, document, and verify concurrent systems. TLA+ has been described as exhaustively-testable pseudocode,[4] and its use likened to drawing blueprints for software systems;[5] TLA is an acronym for Temporal Logic of Actions.

TLA+ 1
TLA+ 2

# Here’s a simple TLA+ specification, representing people trading unique items. Can you find the bug?
People == {"alice", "bob"}
Items == {"ore", "sheep", "brick"}
(* --algorithm trade
variable owner_of \in [Items -> People]

process giveitem \in 1..3 \* up to three possible trades made
variables item \in Items, 
          owner = owner_of[item], 
          to \in People,
          origin_of_trade \in People
begin Give:
    if origin_of_trade = owner then 
        owner_of[item] := to;
    end if;
end process;
end algorithm; *)

Leslie Lamport strikes again it would seem

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews