acrolink

acrolink

I have created some basic query to load data from the database:

page =
Policy
|> join(:left, [p], c in Client, p.client_id == c.id)
|> where([p, c], c.user_id == ^conn.assigns.current_user.id)
|> where([p, c], p.client_id in ^params["policy"]["client_id"])
|> preload([p, c], [client: c])
|> Repo.paginate(params)

The nil problem arises when the GET parameter ["policy"]["client_id"] is missing (not set in the request). My question, how to handle that? How to prevent this error? Basically I want that particular where sentence to be ignored if ["policy"]["client_id"] is empty.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

schaary

schaary

I would encapsulate this query in a separate function and pattern match on the parameter

def foo(params["policy"]["client_id"] = client_id) when is_binary(client_id) do
  # query the db
end

def foo(_) do
  # return some thing useful
end
  
acrolink

acrolink OP

@schaary

Thank you. I understand that the use of multiple function definitions with various guards can cover all parameters’ possibilities. However, if I will be filtering by say 5 parameters then the list of possible combinations of those parameters will be big and that means I will have to write multiple function/guard definitions to catch all possibilities. I hope there is a simpler approach to run that Ecto query.

jwarlander

jwarlander

You could also use query composition, pushing out the client_id filtering to a separate function.. should look something like this:

def filter_policy_client_id(query, nil), do: query
def filter_policy_client_id(query, client_id) do
  query |> where([p], p.client_id in ^client_id)
end

# ...

page =
Policy
|> join(:left, [p], c in Client, p.client_id == c.id)
|> where([p, c], c.user_id == ^conn.assigns.current_user.id)
|> filter_policy_client_id(params["policy"]["client_id"])
|> preload([p, c], [client: c])
|> Repo.paginate(query, params)

Is client_id supposed to be a list? If it’s not, I suspect you should use equality comparison instead of in.

acrolink

acrolink OP

@schaary, @jwarlander
Thank you.. I have learned new things in Elixir today inspecting the answers you have provided..

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews