acrolink

acrolink

I want to learn some basics of this great langauge. I have put this code together:

defmodule Xe do

  def call(input) do
    with {:ok, first} when is_integer(input) <- by_ten(input),
         {:ok, second} <- by_five(first)
    do
      IO.puts second
    else
      _ ->
        IO.puts "error"
    end
  end

  def by_ten(input) do
    {:ok, input * 10} 
  end

  def by_five(input) do
    {:ok, input * 5} 
  end

end

Xe.call("abc")

Here I am getting:

(ArithmeticError) bad argument in arithmetic expression
    a.ex:16: Xe.by_ten/1
    a.ex:5: Xe.call/1
    (elixir) lib/code.ex:677: Code.require_file/2

How to avoid this using guards? Thank you.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

jordiee

jordiee

guards in with match against the result not the input. So in this case it checks that the result of by_ten first matches {:ok,first} and then runs that against the guard. Put your guard on the function itself to guard against input params. Also make sure to have a by_ten without the guard to return an error.

acrolink

acrolink OP

@jordiee

Thank you. Here is the refined code which gives the desired result:

defmodule Xe do

  def call(input) do
    with {:ok, first} <- by_ten(input),
         {:ok, second} <- by_five(first)
    do
      IO.puts second
    else
      _ ->
        IO.puts "error"
    end
  end

  def by_ten(input) when is_integer(input) do
    {:ok, input * 10} 
  end

  def by_ten(_) do
    {:error} 
  end

  def by_five(input) do
    {:ok, input * 5} 
  end

end

Xe.call("abc")

Any remarks are welcome.

jordiee

jordiee

Yep looks good. The only thing I would change and its really preference is when my function is only one line I change it to shorthand syntax…so

def by_ten(_), do: {:error}

but again that is all preference.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews