ducatore
When the DB closes the connection I have a DBConnection.Error.
I would like in this case to retry the query.
Is it something that could be handle by DBConnection or I have to handle myself?
(My use case is when a DB maintenance is applied by GCP)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
garrison
There is no retry logic for queries in Ecto/DBConnection as far as I’m aware. The way you retry a query can be pretty implementation-specific so it’s hard to provide a generic interface for that.
Depending on how long the maintenance takes the implementation could be very different. E.g. if the DB was down for half an hour are you sure you still want to run that query? Etc.
ducatore
It’s on GCP so the updated instance is available very quickly.
The issue is just with the established connection.
unaware8150
I’d go the no-so-happy-path and use a circuit breaker pattern for this if I really need to do such thing.
Are you sure there are not alternatives besides running a particular query every X time/retry?
ducatore
Since I’m in an API call context if I do nothing the API returned a 500
unaware8150
but that’s a proper response, no? the server side cannot connect to the DB due to a DB maintenance.
Just thinking out of the box, I’d go with a circuit breaker pattern that makes sure to close the connection if it’s open and try again. You could use something like this: Overview — ExternalService v2.0.0 or implement it yourself, which is also a good exercise from time to time