explorer2309

explorer2309

I am getting started with ash_admin with the following resources:

  • Organisation
  • User
  • UserOrganisation (many to many link table between the User and Organisation)

I can edit the fields of Organisation and User using ash-admin, but I am unable to manage the many to many relationship.

Is there is a guide or example of this somewhere?

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I don’t believe there is a specific example or guide for that with ash_admin. When you say that you are unable to manage the many to many relationship, what happens when you try to do so? Is it just not showing in the UI? Can you show me the action in question?

EDIT: I think the issue is simpler than I realized, after rereading your question. Answer below:

Actions do not accept related data by default. You have to add an argument (the way to accept non-attribute values into an action), and then you have to use that argument. The most straightforward way to do so, and the way that tells ash_admin to generate proper inputs, is with the builtin manage_relationship change. For example:

update :update do
  argument :users, {:array, :map}

  change manage_relationship(:users, type: :append_and_remove)
end
explorer2309

explorer2309 OP

Thanks for the quick response and pointing out the update method

change manage_relationship(:users, type: :append_and_remove)

After adding that, the update screen looks like this:

And when I click the Load button, it shows the “search” icon. Clicking that icon adds a row having the “remove” icon.

explorer2309

explorer2309 OP

I have created a git repo which shows this problem

https://github.com/explorer2309/AshManyMany

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Thank you for the reproduction :slight_smile: Makes my life a million times easier.

Issue fixed in 0.10.1

explorer2309

explorer2309 OP

Great. Its working now.
Many thanks!
:slightly_smiling_face:

fbutano

fbutano

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a basic question — I might be misunderstanding how ash_admin is expected to render many_to_many inputs.

Setup:

  • User many_to_many Offices through Membership
  • Office has admin do label_field :name; relationship_select_max_items 10 end
  • User has admin do label_field :cip end
  • Membership is a join resource with defaults [:create, :read, :destroy]

On User:

  • update :update has:
    argument :offices, {:array, :map}
    change manage_relationship(:offices, type: :append_and_remove)

(I also added the same to create :create)

In ash_admin (User → Create/Edit), the “Offices” field renders as a plain nested input:
Offices
Id [__________]
So it looks like it expects office IDs (UUIDs) rather than a select/typeahead using Office.label_field.

Could you please help me understand if this is expected?

  • Should ash_admin be able to render a select/typeahead for many_to_many managed via manage_relationship?
  • If yes, am I using the wrong argument shape/options (e.g. should it be {:array, :uuid} and/or value_is_key: :id)?
  • Or is the current “enter IDs” UI expected here, and label_field only applies to relationship selects in other contexts?

I’m on ash_admin v0.13.x.

Thanks a lot for your time!

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

:waving_hand: you can use the label_field option on a resource, which will make it appear with a dropdown/typeahead in the admin interface for anything with relationships that point to it:

fbutano

fbutano

Hi Zach,

Thanks a lot for the hint! Sorry if I’m still missing something basic here.

I tried setting label_field on the related resource, but in AshAdmin the field still renders as an “IDs-only” nested input (no select/typeahead).

Office:

admin do
  label_field :name
  relationship_select_max_items 10
end

User:

  relationships do
    has_many :memberships, Manager.Accounts.Membership

    many_to_many :offices, Manager.Org.Office do
      through Manager.Accounts.Membership
      source_attribute_on_join_resource :user_id
      destination_attribute_on_join_resource :office_id
    end
  end


  admin do
    label_field :cip

    form do
      field :cip, type: :default
      field :name, type: :default
      field :offices, type: :default
    end
  end

actions do
    defaults [:read, :destroy]

    create :create do
      accept [:cip, :name]
      argument :offices, {:array, :map}, allow_nil?: true, default: []
      change manage_relationship(:offices, type: :append_and_remove)
    end

    update :update do
      accept [:cip, :name]
      require_atomic? false
      argument :offices, {:array, :map}, allow_nil?: true, default: []
      change manage_relationship(:offices, type: :append_and_remove)
    end

    read :get_by_subject do
      description "Get a user by the subject claim in a JWT"
      argument :subject, :string, allow_nil?: false
      get? true
      prepare AshAuthentication.Preparations.FilterBySubject
    end
  end

Is this expected currently? Or is there some AshAdmin configuration I’m missing to force a relationship selector for a many_to_many managed via manage_relationship?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

:thinking: hmm…maybe there is a bug? It might not work for many to many relationships? I would have expected it to though… Can you create a reproduction project and push it up?

fbutano

fbutano

Hi Zach! first of all, I wish you Happy new Year!!!

I made a minimal reproduction repo here: GitHub - fbutano/demo_admin · GitHub

It only includes User, Office and Membership (many_to_many through join), plus AshAdmin.

In AshAdmin, in User create/update, the offices field still renders as an “Id [uuid]” nested input instead of a relationship selector (dropdown/typeahead) even with:

Office:

admin do

label_field :name

relationship_select_max_items 10

end

Thanks a lot for your time!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews