MatijaL

MatijaL

Hi,
I’m trying to hash a random number but can’t make it work…

num = Enum.random(1..9999)
hashed_num = :crypto.hash(:sha256, num)

I’m getting “1st argument: not an iodata term” error. From my understanding, Enum.random creates a number and :crypto.hash wants an iodata. The same thing happens if I use :crypto.rand_uniform(1, 9999) instead of Enum.random… can anyone help?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

soup

soup

You have to convert the integer to a bitstring then :crypto.hash will accept it:

num = 999
width_in_bits = 64 # unsure if it's possible to get this dynamically?
bin = <<num::integer-size(width_in_bits)>>
hashed_num = :crypto.hash(:sha256, bin)
{num, bin, hashed_num}

Someone clever can let us know if it’s possible to get the bit width of an number dynamically. I’ve only ever used this with fixed/known widths. You could just wing it on a huge width if you didn’t really care. AFAIK beam numbers have no maximum value, so no maximum width but you can generally scope your usecase.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

An integer() value is not a subtype of iodata() and even the integers allowed as part of an iolist need to be byte values, so in the range of 0..255. you likely want to encode your integer to a binary format first.

MatijaL

MatijaL OP

num = 
    Enum.random(1..999) 
    |> Integer.to_string()

hashed_num = :crypto.hash(:sha256, num)

This is the final code for future reference, converting integer to string as @LostKobrakai suggested was all that was needed.

tangui

tangui

You can transform any term to a binary (and then hash it) with :erlang.binary_to_term/1:

iex> :erlang.term_to_binary(42)
<<131, 97, 42>>
iex> :erlang.term_to_binary(42.0)
<<131, 70, 64, 69, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0>>
iex> :erlang.term_to_binary({4, 2})
<<131, 104, 2, 97, 4, 97, 2>>
soup

soup

Note that’s hashing the string “999”, not the integer 999, which might make a difference to some intentions or across application contexts. (You could argue that settling on “we always hash everything as utf8-string” as being more transportable/less-complex?)

Your hashing here is fixed width but for some things like encoding Base58 it makes a difference in payload size if nothing else.

t = DateTime.utc_now() |> DateTime.to_unix(:microsecond)

to_string_encode =
  t
  |> Integer.to_string()
  |> Base.encode64()
  |> dbg()

to_bin_encode =
  t
  |> then(fn x ->
    <<x::unsigned-integer-size(64)>>
  end)
  |> Base.encode64()
  |> dbg()

to_string_base =
  t
  # you can also pass a 2->36 (not 64!) as a base
  # this is *not* functionally the same thing though!
  |> Integer.to_string(32)
  |> dbg()

[
  to_string_encode: to_string_encode,
  to_bin_encode: to_bin_encode,
]

# the encoded string is a larger payload than the encoded integer
# => [to_string_encode: "MTY2NjQzNTI4MTAzNzU3NA==",
# =>  to_bin_encode:    "AAXrnTL3qQY="]

term_to_binary might be problematic as its leading byte is a version number (which I assume can change …) and the docs warn “There is no guarantee that this function will return the same encoded representation for the same term.”

There is an option for deterministic but it’s not x-otp version stable.

Option deterministic (introduced in OTP 24.1) can be used to ensure that within the same major release of Erlang/OTP, the same encoded representation is returned for the same term. There is still no guarantee that the encoded representation remains the same between major releases of Erlang/OTP.

That does make me wonder though, how easy is it to safely & stabley hash an actual composed data type? You could convert to some other format like json or mpack but those aren’t guaranteed to be stably ordered. I guess you’re stuck converting each value to a bitstring/hash and hashing the combination?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not text string. People are telling you to convert your integer to a bit string.

MatijaL

MatijaL OP

Is this the right way?

Enum.random(1..999)
|> Integer.to_string()
|> Base.encode64()
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

No, you’re still producing a text string. You were pointed at several other ways above.

Sebb

Sebb

1..9999 |> Enum.map(&(&1 |> :math.log2() |> ceil)) 
soup

soup

Smarter than max_n |> Integer.to_string(2) |> String.length() :smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews