thojanssens1

thojanssens1

I’m building my first Phoenix app and need a little guidance.

Say I build a quiz maker.

  • Admin users may create questions and answers;
  • Visitors of the website can answer the questions.

I ran the following command to create my first context:
mix phx.gen.html Quiz Question questions text:string

But what confuses me, is that I will have two clearly distinct sections of my website, with two different layouts: a layout and templates for admins, and a layout and templates for the visitors.

Most of these generated files such as the templates to list the questions, create/edit/delete a question, and so on should only be accessible by an admin user.

Also, the template to view a question show.html.eex will be different for an admin and a visitor: the visitor will have a nicely displayed question (with different html), while the admin will have a rather raw template, using the same layout as the layout used for listing questions and editing questions.

All of the admin templates will have a basic layout, while the templates for the visitors will have a layout with a nicer design.

The command above generates for exemple:
lib/quiz_maker_web/templates/question/show.html.eex
lib/quiz_maker_web/templates/question/form.html.eex
...

While I need something like:
lib/quiz_maker_web/templates/admin/question/show.html.eex
lib/quiz_maker_web/templates/admin/question/form.html.eex
lib/quiz_maker_web/templates/guest/question/show.html.eex
...

I think my requirement is a pretty basic one, but I don’t know the best way to achieve it. Any help is very much appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

idi527

idi527

:waving_hand:

You can have “scoped” controllers like

defmodule YourAppWeb.Admin.QuestionController do
end

this would make phoenix use lib/quiz_maker_web/view/admin/question_view.ex and look in lib/quiz_maker_web/templates/admin/ for the templates.

jeremyjh

jeremyjh

Hi, you can make a separate pipeline in which you specify a different template for the layout, and then use that pipeline in the scope that contains the admin routes.

For example, define a separate layout in admin.html.eex, then configure your router something like:


  pipeline :admin_pages do
    plug(:accepts, ["html"])
    plug :put_layout, {MyAppWeb.LayoutView, "admin.html"}
  end

  scope "/admin", MyAppWeb, as: :admin do
    pipe_through(:admin_pages)
    get("/", AdminController, :index)
  end

Any pages served under /admin will get the admin layout.

thojanssens1

thojanssens1 OP

I have a login page for the admin users, managed by Admin.SessionController and displayed by new action and /templates/admin/session/new.html.eex template. I’d like this page to have the admin layout like other admin pages, and be located under /admin url.

However, the problem I have is that the /admin scope (which sets the admin layout and provides the /admin/ url part) requires authentication, so I can’t display the admin’s login page for an unauthenticated admin. How would you solve that?

scope "/admin", MyAppWebWeb, as: :admin do
  pipe_through [:browser, :authenticate_user, :admin_pages]
  resources "/questions", Admin.QuestionController
  resources "/users", Admin.UserController, except: [:edit, :update]
  resources "/sessions", Admin.SessionController, only: [:new, :create, :delete]
end

Note that I will have a SessionController for the website visitors as well, with different redirects on successful authentication, and different templates.

thojanssens1

thojanssens1 OP

I just remembered about nested scope and it solved my problem about th admin login page it seems:

scope "/admin", MyAppWeb, as: :admin do
  pipe_through [:browser, :admin_pages]
  resources "/sessions", Admin.SessionController, only: [:new, :create]

  scope "/" do
    pipe_through [:authenticate_user]
    resources "/users", Admin.UserController, except: [:edit, :update]
    resources "/sessions", Admin.SessionController, only: [:delete]
  end
end

:slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews