lanycrost

lanycrost

Hi everyone!

I need implement if…else if…else condition from my elixir code, and anymore of this control flow structures not work properly for me.
I want implement this logic.

if *** do

else if *** do

else

end

I try use cond condition, but i don’t know how implement else logic to this control flow structures.

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

NobbZ

NobbZ

Any reason why you don’t simply use nested if, if you need a nested if?

And an “else” branch in a cond is simply true.

AstonJ

AstonJ

What you are trying to do might be better as something else (such as cond or multiple function clauses) can you paste your code so we can take a look?

peerreynders

peerreynders

iex> cond do
...>   2 + 2 == 5 ->                                # 1 if expression (equivalent)
...>     "This is never true"                       # 1 
...>   2 * 2 == 3 ->                                # 2 if-else expression (equivalent)
...>     "Nor this"                                 # 2
...>   true ->                                      # 3 else expression (equivalent)
...>     "This is always true (equivalent to else)" # 3
...> end
"This is always true (equivalent to else)"

It’s important to remember that cond, case and even if are expressions , not statements (i.e. not control flow structures) - think: ternary operator in JavaScript, (C, C++, C#, Java) - i.e. they are fundamentally designed to return a value - though the compiler doesn’t yell at you if you ignore the returned value. Functions with multiple clauses work similarly as functions always return values. Many situations can be implemented with either case expressions or multi-clause functions and both support guards which is essentially is a condition that refines the pattern match.

13
Post #3
lanycrost

lanycrost OP

Of course!

def userselect( user ) do
    cond do
      Map.has_key?( user, :id ) ->
        sel_user = User |> Repo.get( user.id )

        case sel_user do
          nil -> { :error, "Something went wrong!" }
          _ -> { :ok, sel_user }
        end
      Map.has_key?( user, :email ) ->
        sel_user = User |> Repo.get_by( email: user.email )

        case sel_user do
          nil -> { :error, "Something went wrong!" }
          _ -> { :ok, sel_user }
        end
      Map.has_key?( user, :username ) ->
        sel_user = User |> Repo.get_by( username: user.username )

        case sel_user do
          nil -> { :error, "Something went wrong!" }
          _ -> { :ok, sel_user }
        end
      true ->
        { :error, "It's immposible to select a user using this parameter." }
    end
  end
NobbZ

NobbZ

def userselect(%{id: id} = user), do: …
def userselect(%{email: email} = user), do: …
def userselect(%{username: username} = user), do: …
def userselect(_), do: …

Since you now have a match on id, email, or username you may be able to even rewrite the “inner” block a bit.

Since all the case are identical, I’d even move them into a helper function, making your blocks look like this:

defp sel_user(nil), do: {:error, "Something went wrong"}
defp sel_user(user), do: {:ok, user}

def userselect(%{id: id}), do: User |> Repo.get(id) |> sel_user()
def userselect(%{email: email}), do: User |> Repo.get(email) |> sel_user()
def userselect(%{username: username}), do: User |> Repo.get(username) |> sel_user()
def userselect(_), do: sel_user(nil)

Next step were to create those function heads from a list using metaprogramming, they are the same except for the key to match on… But to be honest, I’d do that only for more than 5 keys, you don’t gain much for less, maybe even you loose a lot if meta-ing to early :wink:

14
Post #5
AstonJ

AstonJ

I had a feeling multiple def clauses might be more appropriate :003:

@NobbZ’s code is much more readable/refactorable/maintainable and the preferred way of doing things (according to @pragdave) because each function is responsible only for one thing :023:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews