oliverandrich

oliverandrich

Hi,

I still working through this article and have now reached the phase, where I want to implement the immediate disconnecting of LiveViews on logout.

Sadly, I seem to misunderstand something or did something, so it doesn’t work. In the end, my problem is, that I think that the LiveViews are connected to a PubSub channel on mount. To do so I call in my mount function:

Jocasta.Endpoint.subscribe(@my_pubsub_topic)

I also added a plain handle_info function to my LiveViews, that should just dump out the message for me.

@impl true
def handle_info(msg, socket) do
  IO.inspect(msg)
  {:noreply, socket}
end

Then I broadcast a message somewhere else.

Jocasta.Endpoint.broadcast_from(
     self(),
     UserAuth.pubsub_topic(),
     "logout_user",
     %{
       user: user
     }
   )

Somehow my message never ends up in my handle_info method or better said, this method is never called.

Being rather new to Phoenix, I have some stupid quesions.

  • Can I find out which subscribers exist for a given topic?
  • Is the assumption correct that subscribe and broadcast belong to the PubSub system?
  • Do I totally misunderstand here something?

I thought I replicated everything the author does in his repo. Sadly, I seem to miss something and started to strip his example to the absolute basics of sending and receiving messages via PubSub.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Oliver

Showing Posts 1 to 7

50kudos

50kudos

Can I find out which subscribers exist for a given topic?

Registry.lookup(Jocasta.PubSub, topic) the result can contain metadata passed to when calling subscribe (e.g. Phoenix.PubSub.subscribe(Jocasta.PubSub, topic, metadata: %{ip: ip}))

Is the assumption correct that subscribe and broadcast belong to the PubSub system?

It belongs to pubsub_server configured here

config :fset, JocastaWeb.Endpoint,
  ...
  pubsub_server: Jocasta.PubSub,
  live_view: [signing_salt: "abc"]

And that PubSub is usually (or by default, not sure since which phoenix version) started in root supervision tree.

Do I totally misunderstand here something?

Not sure! If that broadcast_from works, you would want to test it in a separate node to see if it actually works. Or use local_broadcast_from.

oliverandrich

oliverandrich OP

Thx @50kudos. This helped me a lot.

  • Registry.lookup/2 indeed showed me what I wanted to know.
  • In another post I learned about iex -S mix phx.server. Before that, I started my commands manually in a different iex which is stupid, if you want to interact with another os process.

Now I can debug analyse my problem.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

May I ask why you’re using pubsub manually over this:

oliverandrich

oliverandrich OP

Because I didn’t knew about this. This is really helpful. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

slouchpie

slouchpie

I have been following this same article and had some concerns about the proposed use of PubSub. The link posted above by @LostKobrakai is a much better approach.

I want to mention this:
I used phx_gen_auth in my project and that generated this line in the log_in_user function:

conn
# ...
|> put_session(:live_socket_id, "users_sessions:#{Base.url_encode64(token)}")

So for anyone else like me, you can keep this line and log users out like this:

  @doc """
  Logs a user out of any and all sessions
  """
  def force_logout_user(%User{id: user_id} = user) do
    user_tokens = UserToken
    |> where(user_id: ^user_id)
    |> Repo.all()

    Repo.delete_all(UserToken.user_and_contexts_query(user, :all))

    user_tokens
    |> Enum.each(fn %UserToken{token: token} ->
      MyAppWeb.Endpoint.broadcast(
        "users_sessions:#{Base.url_encode64(token)}",
        "disconnect",
        %{}
      )
    end)
  end

Just make sure you change mount functions in any live views you have that might assume a current_user on the assigns.

lmzbonack

lmzbonack

Hey, thanks a bunch for posting your solution to this. I think I too am following the same article, popular one I guess haha. I am wondering if your approach will trigger the page to “re-render” or the mount function to run again.

From what I was reading it should. However, when I call the force_logout_user function from an iex -S mix session the page in my browser does not automatically refresh and the mount function does not trigger like I expect it to. I do not see any errors in the output from the Phoenix Server. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

slouchpie

slouchpie

When I call force_logout_user the logged in user’s browser navigates to the login page.

Are you definitely putting the live socket ID on the sesssion? I have something like this in my log_in function:

    |> put_session(:live_socket_id, "users_sessions:#{Base.url_encode64(token)}")

and that token is stored in the database.

Take a look at the Network tab in your devtools to investigate the problem.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews