spyq
I’ve followed the uploads guide and have uploads working with one small issue - the files have no file type extension (.jpg etc).
Here is my handler:
def handle_event("save", _params, socket) do
uploaded_files =
consume_uploaded_entries(socket, :avatar, fn %{path: path}, entry ->
dest = Path.join([:code.priv_dir(:qualyst), "static", "uploads", Path.basename(path))
File.cp!(path, dest)
{:ok, Routes.static_path(socket, "/uploads/#{Path.basename(dest)}")}
end)
{:noreply, update(socket, :uploaded_files, &(&1 ++ uploaded_files))}
end
Uploaded files show up in priv/static/uploads like this: “uploads/live_view_upload-1662238207-966158677041787-1”
Since there is no file extension, I can’t figure out how to display the images after upload.
I know there must be a straightforward way to do this, but after playing around I couldn’t figure out an elegant solution besides parsing %Phoenix.LiveView.UploadEntry{}. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mcrumm
Welcome @spyq!
You can’t trust what the client sends, but the File metadata provided by the browser is available on the UploadEntry.
You can use
Path.extname/1on the client name:…or if the client name has no extension, then you can try to derive it from the content type with
MIME.extensions/1…and if you have restricted allowed upload types with the
:acceptoption onallow_upload/3then it should always return an expected value.…but none of that guarantees that the metadata is valid. If you need to know that those bytes are a JPEG you’ll need to use something like
GenMagicwhich invokes libmagic under the hood and introspects the actual file bytes, and then invokeMIME.extensions/1with the result mime_type to search for a known extension.Hope that helps!
spyq
Thanks so much for the quick response @mcrumm!
Using Path.extname solved the extension name issue. I had assumed that was why the images weren’t displaying, but that actually didn’t solve the issue, because I hadn’t realized that I needed to configure Plug to include the “images” folder in static assets. Now I see that the original guide would have worked out as is, without the extension name, if I had done that step when creating the folder in static.
Thanks again!
Spyq
mcrumm
If you feel the guides could be clearer on that point, a PR would be very welcome!
mayel
FYI there’s now a native elixir library for this kind of mime detection, I haven’t used it yet but been meaning to see if it can replace the NIF we currently use for it: GitHub - chaskiq/ex-marcel: Find the mime type of files, examining file, filename and declared type · GitHub