idi527

idi527

I have the following supervisor children:

       [
          %{
            id: :ranch_sup,
            start: {:ranch_sup, :start_link, []},
            restart: :permanent,
            shutdown: 5000,
            type: :supervisor
          },
          :ranch.child_spec(Server, :ranch_tcp, [port: 6666], Server, [])
        ]

and in mix.exs:

  # Run "mix help compile.app" to learn about applications.
  def application do
    [
      extra_applications: [:logger],
      included_applications: [:ranch],
      mod: {Server.Application, []}
    ]
  end

  # Run "mix help deps" to learn about dependencies.
  defp deps do
    [
      {:ranch, "~> 1.7", runtime: false}
    ]
  end

The problem is that elixir makes :ranch start its supervisor automatically, I guess … which causes

18:00:50.418 [info]  Application server exited: Server.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: :ranch_sup
    ** (EXIT) already started: #PID<0.895.0>
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,server,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,ranch_sup,{already_started,<0.895.0>}}},{'Elixir.Server.Application',start,[normal,[]]}}}"}
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) ({application_start_failure,server,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,ranch_sup,{already_started,<0.895.0>}}},{'Elixir.Server.Application',start,

Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump...done

Showing Posts 1 to 5

idi527

idi527 OP

So the question is, how do I include :ranch in a supervision tree, that is, include the application (so that it gets into a release) while not starting it?

idi527

idi527 OP

I guess I can remove ranch_sup from the children list and only keep the listener there, but I remember that caused problems with app shutdown …

easco

easco

Ranch is an application. That means it is responsible for maintaining its own, independent, supervision tree. It does not seem proper for you to try and start that applications tree within your own application’s tree.

Can you elaborate more on the problem you are trying to solve (not the solution you are pursuing to solve it?)

idi527

idi527 OP

That means it is responsible for maintaining its own, independent, supervision tree. It does not seem proper for you to try and start that applications tree within your own application’s tree.

Not quite: Nine Nines: Embedded mode

Can you elaborate more on the problem you are trying to solve (not the solution you are pursuing to solve it?)

The problem is I want to be able to start and stop ranch instances during tests, and I failed to do so with it being started as an app, and wanted to try start_supervised! and friends.


This “XY problem” reply seems to be getting more and more popular on this forum :slight_smile:

I’d still want to know how to achieve what I want in the OP, it sometimes comes in handy, I remember I had a similar problem with :pigeon recently where it was only started in :prod, but still had to be included in :dev to export dialyzer types.

NobbZ

NobbZ

The setup you describe here seems to work for me out of the box as it seems…

Have you perhaps an Application.ensure_all_started(:ranch) somewhere, as it is suggested all over the docs?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews