script
I know in elixir data types are immutable. I have a column name failed_login_tries. which is integer and i want to increment it every time user put incorrect password. this is the code
defp check_chromatic_password(plaintext, %User{} = user) do
if Bcrypt.checkpw(plaintext, user.local_password_hash) do
{:ok, user}
else
{:error, :invalid_password}
end
end
failed_login_tries is inside the %User struct
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
minhajuddin
You can change the user struct by using
user = %{ user | failed_login_tries: user.failed_login_tries + 1}and to persist this in the database useRepo.updateby passing it an updated ecto changeset. Immutability refers to the fact that the previous struct remains the same. e.g.aseigo
Just be aware that there is an inherent race condition with that approach: if the user fails auth in quick succession twice both may have the user record with the current count prior to either auth attempt, and so both will increment the old value by one and update the db with that, causing the N attempts to be counted as just 1!
The correct way to do this is in the database itself using a fragment as in:
This way the db sorts out the concurrent updates and you will always end up with the correct count.
LostKobrakai
There’s an even simpler option to write that query:
aseigo
I always forget about
inc(and friends) .. thanks for the reminder!tjdam
This way of expressing a query, does that mean I can only get this update passing it to an update_all()?
At first I was trying to pass it to a one() since I know I will get only one result, but it doesn’t seem to work.
benwilson512
That’s correct.
silverdr
Is there a “correct” way to update the
timestamps()(:updated_at) when doing this? I mean I know I can addset: [updated_at: ....]to the query and pass the current time but that doesn’t seem “correct”.LostKobrakai
It is though. Updating timestamps is a “schema” feature, which is not supported by the lower level
*_allapi’s on the repo.silverdr
Does it use the “elixir time” or the “database time” for this? If it uses “database time” then I’d need the same to pass to the
set: [updated_at: <here>]. I am not yet the whole codebase savvy enough to quickly find and verify it in the source tree..LostKobrakai
Timestamps use the autogenerate functionality of ecto schema fields, which is runtime functionality. So those are not set on the db.