vitorfam

vitorfam

I’m currently using Redis to cache some information in my application. But I saw that ETS may be faster at lookup actions (https://github.com/minhajuddin/redis_vs_ets_showdown) . With that in mind, I want to create an ETS table at my app startup, so I can use it in a Plug.

I’ve tried to the following, but it did not work.

defmodule MyApp.Validator do
    @bucket :ets.new(:bucket, [:set, :protected])

    def put_validation(id) do
        :ets.insert_new(@bucket, {id, %{"active" => true, "user" => "test"}}
    end
end

It returns argument error. I think it’s because the ETS does not exist.

How and where can I initialize an ETS in order to use it inside my application?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

akhanaton

akhanaton

You can do it in the start function of your application.ex, just put the init code

:ets.new(:bucket, [:set, :protected])

right before the “opts = […]”

Then in your code:

def put_validation(id) do
        :ets.insert_new(:bucket, {id, %{"active" => true, "user" => "test"}}
end

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I prefer to have a dedicated GenServer, in charge of the ETS table… It starts the table in the init section.

vitorfam

vitorfam OP

It didn’t work. I’ve also removed the :protected tag, but still getting argument error.

vitorfam

vitorfam OP

I’ll try it! Thanks!!

akhanaton

akhanaton

Try adding the :named_table atom to the list passed into new when you initialize it:

:ets.new(:bucket, [:set, :protected, :named_table])

hauleth

hauleth

@bucket :ets.new(:bucket, [:set, :protected])

This will be evaluated in compile time, after that the VM is shut down and restarted, which mean that such table will be long gone. If you need to use that table then you either need pass table ref as an argument:

defmodule MyApp.Validator do
  def create_table do
    :ets.new(:bucket, [:set, :protected])
  end

  def put_validation(table_ref, id) do
    :ets.insert_new(@bucket, {id, %{"active" => true, "user" => "test"}}
  end
end

And then use it like

table = MyApp.Validator.create_table()

MyApp.Validator.put_validation(table, :foo)

Or you need to create process that will be table owner:

defmodule MyApp.Validator do
  use GenServer

  @name __MODULE__

  def start_link(_), do: GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], name: @name)

  def insert(id) do
    GenServer.call(@name, {:insert, id})
  end

  def init(_) do
    :ets.new(@name, [:set, :protected, :named_table])

    {:ok, []}
  end

  def handle_call({:insert, id}, _ref, state) do
    :ets.insert_new(@name, {id, %{"active" => true, "user" => "test"}})

    {:reply, :ok, state}
  end
end
vitorfam

vitorfam OP

I’ve created a GenServer as you and @kokolegorille suggested and it worked! Thank you very much.

Just to register what I’ve done, so others can see it.

I created a file called validator.ex inside my lib/myapp/ folder with:

defmodule MyApp.Validator do
    use GenServer

    @name __MODULE__

    def start_link(_), do: GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], name: @name)

    def init(_) do
      IO.puts("Creating ETS #{@name}")
      :ets.new(:authorization_bucket, [:set, :named_table])
      {:ok, "ETS Created"}
    end

    def insert(token, model_id) do
      GenServer.call(@name, {:insert, {token, %{"active" => true, "model_id" => model_id}}})
    end

    def remove(token) do
      GenServer.call(@name, {:delete, token})
    end

    def handle_call({:insert, data}, _ref, state) do
      :ets.insert_new(:authorization_bucket, data)
      {:reply, :ok, state}
    end

    def handle_call({:delete, token}, _ref, state) do
      :ets.delete(:authorization_bucket, token)
      {:reply, :ok, state}
    end

    def create_ets_bucket() do
      :ets.new(:authorization_bucket, [:set, :protected, :named_table])
    end
end

Then, I start the GenServer at lib/myapp/application.ex

def start(_type, _args) do
    # List all child processes to be supervised
    children = [
      # Start the Ecto repository
      MyApp.Repo,
      # Start the endpoint when the application starts
      MyAppWeb.Endpoint,
      # Starts a worker by calling: MyApp.Worker.start_link(arg)
      # {MyApp.Worker, arg},
      MyApp.Validator
    ]
    # See https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Supervisor.html
    # for other strategies and supported options
    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: MyApp.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

To test it, start the server with iex -S mix phx.server. When MyApp.Validator.init/1 is called, it prints “Creating ETS MyApp.Validator”.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews