marvinljw

marvinljw

Hi all,

Currently I need to create a function to get all the users with registration date between a given start_date to a given end_date regardless of the year. This means that the user with registration date of ~D[2016-06-19] should appear for the function get_users(~D[2022-06-12], ~D[2022-07-30]).

So, I am trying to create a new_date(year of start_date, reg_d.month, reg_d.day) before comparing with the interval. Let’s assume that both the start_date and end_date is always on the same year.

def get_users(start_date, end_date) do
start_year = start_d.year

query = from u in User, 
    where ^Date.from_erl!({ start_year, (fragment(“date_part(‘month’, ?)”, u.reg_d)), (fragment(“date_part(‘day’, ?)”, u.reg_d)) }) > ^start_date 
    and ^Date.from_erl!({ start_year, (fragment(“date_part(‘month’, ?)”, u.reg_d)), (fragment(“date_part(‘day’, ?)”, u.reg_d)) }) < ^end_date

Repo.all(query)
end

When i write the above, it shows “CompileError undefined function fragment/2 Stacktrace: | (elixir 1.12.3) src/elixir_locals.erl:114: anonymous fn/3 in :elixir_locals.ensure_no_undefined_local/3”

Thank you in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The following should just work.

from u in User, where: u.reg_d > ^start_date and u.reg_d < ^end_date
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Ecto builds a whole query and then sends it to the database - you seem to be hoping to execute some Elixir for each matching row, which isn’t supported.

There are a couple different approaches you could take to solve this:

  • build a complex query using date_part and logical operators - basically re-implement date comparison by hand but without comparing the years.
    • pro: does everything in SQL
    • con: does everything in SQL; IIRC date_part isn’t particularly index-friendly
  • build a complex query by generating a copy of the supplied date range and combining the clauses with OR. In your example, it’d be checking “is reg_d between 2022-06-12 and 2022-07-30? What about 2021-06-12 and 2021-07-30, etc?”
    • pro: more index-friendly since it’s matching on the whole value of reg_d
    • con: if reg_d could be many many years ago, the query will get very large
  • change the data format: store a next_anniversary_d column that contains reg_d in the current year.
    • pro: the check becomes very very simple and index-friendly: “is next_anniversary_d in the supplied range?”
    • con: now you need code to update the anniversary column every year.
evadne

evadne

I think using date_part is the best solution and you could add an index on the function itself in postgres.

See:

So:

CREATE INDEX user_registration_doy ON users(date_part('doy', registration_date));

Then probably:

def query(from_date, to_date) do
  from_doy = Date.day_of_year(from_date)
  to_doy = Date.day_of_year(to_date)

  User
  |> where([x], fragment("date_part('doy', ?) >= ?", x.start_date, ^from_doy)
  |> where([x], fragment("date_part('doy', ?) <= ?", x.start_date, ^end_doy)
  |> Repo.all()
end

n.b. Must validate both pg and elixir algos agree on day of year.

marvinljw

marvinljw OP

Thanks for the reply. I changed the data format of reg_d to the current year by creating a subquery. From there, I compared the new_reg_d with the start_date and end_date and it works.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews