fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I recently discovered the wonderful ~U sigil that can be used to create DateTime variables. However, what’s confusing to me is that you’d never know from looking at the result that you were in fact dealing with a %DateTime{} struct. For example:

iex> dt = ~U[2019-12-13 21:53:19.919561Z]
iex)> Map.keys(dt)
[:__struct__, :calendar, :day, :hour, :microsecond, :minute, :month, :second,
 :std_offset, :time_zone, :utc_offset, :year, :zone_abbr]

The only way I’ve found to peer into a variable like this is using IEX.Info.info/1

iex> dt = ~U[2019-12-13 21:53:19.919561Z]
iex> IEx.Info.info(dt)
[
  {"Data type", "DateTime"},
  {"Description", "This is a struct. Structs are maps with a __struct__ key."},
  {"Reference modules", "DateTime, Map"}
]

Can someone explain this? Are all sigils stored in this opaque way?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team
  • Sigils are an input only construction that are executed at compile time.
  • Structs commonly support the Inspect protocol.
  • And its a common convention that structs that can be built with a sigil also use a sigil string as their inspect output. Because then when you copy/paste the inspected output into iex it will just work.

When you put the three points together you get the situation you describe. But there’s no magic going on. Just the output of the inspect protocol matching the sigil format.

You can force a different output in iex with the :structs option:

iex> ~U[2019-01-01 12:45:00.0Z] |> IO.inspect(structs: false)
%{
  __struct__: DateTime,
  calendar: Calendar.ISO,
  day: 1,
  hour: 12,
  microsecond: {0, 1},
  minute: 45,
  month: 1,
  second: 0,
  std_offset: 0,
  time_zone: "Etc/UTC",
  utc_offset: 0,
  year: 2019,
  zone_abbr: "UTC"
}
tomciopp

tomciopp

I typically convert the struct into a map so that I can see all the key/value pairs. Luckily elixir has a nice built in function Map.from_struct/1 which will do exactly what you think it will. The result for the datetime that you’ve referenced would look something like

iex(1)> Map.from_struct(~U[2019-12-13 21:53:19.919561Z])
%{
  calendar: Calendar.ISO,
  day: 13,
  hour: 21,
  microsecond: {919561, 6},
  minute: 53,
  month: 12,
  second: 19,
  std_offset: 0,
  time_zone: "Etc/UTC",
  utc_offset: 0,
  year: 2019,
  zone_abbr: "UTC"
}

This really helps demystify structs that are created by sigils IMO.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews