daanturo

daanturo

Without defining a function, is there an equivalent of Clojure’s loop or Scheme’s named let where I can run a tail-call loop expression while accumulating multiple values?
There’s Enum.reduce, but the number of iterations may not known in advance, and carrying multiple accumulated values with reduce is clunky.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: provided my concrete usage in reply.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

Eiji

Eiji

Often there are multiple ways to solve one problem. You need to give an example of what you want to do including example input, output and what you tried so far, before anybody would give you a satisfying solution.

daanturo

daanturo OP

I am writing an Elixir script version of Merge pdf files and automatically create a table of contents with each file as an entry

At the step of bookmark (TOC) generation, we need to iterate through the list of input files, while keeping page_counter increasing and the accumulated bookmarks (not necessarily as we can append to the file at each step but I prefer to write at once).

Current Elixir version: make use of reduce, it works but doensn’t look ideal.

bookmark_content =
  Enum.reduce(
    input_files,
    {1, ""},
    fn file, {cur_page_num_counter, acc_bookmarks} ->
      IO.puts("Generating bookmarks for '#{file}'")
      # Title: base name with "_" replaced by " "
      title = Path.basename(file, '.pdf') |> String.replace("_", " ")
      cur_file_bookmarks = "BookmarkBegin
BookmarkTitle: #{title}
BookmarkLevel: 1
BookmarkPageNumber: #{cur_page_num_counter}
"
      new_page_num_counter = cur_page_num_counter + page_number_in_file.(file)

      # Demote file's bookmarks' levels, so that they appear under the current
      # file
      demoted_bookmarks_of_current =
        shell_command_to_string.("pdf-my-demote-bookmarks '#{file}' #{cur_page_num_counter - 1}")

      new_bookmarks = acc_bookmarks <> cur_file_bookmarks <> demoted_bookmarks_of_current
      {new_page_num_counter, new_bookmarks}
    end
  )
  |> elem(1)

An Emacs Lisp version may look like this (making use of https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Local-Variables.html#index-named_002dlet):

(named-let recur ((files input-files)
                  (cur-page-num-counter 1)
                  (acc-bookmarks ""))
  (cond
   ((seq-empty-p files)
    acc-bookmarks)
   (t
    (-let* ((file (car files))
            (title (--> (file-name-base file)
                        (string-replace "_" " " it)))
            (cur-file-bookmarks (format "BookmarkBegin
BookmarkTitle: %s
BookmarkLevel: 1
BookmarkPageNumber: %d
" title cur-page-num-counter))
            (new-page-num-counter (+ cur-page-num-counter
                                     (page-number-in-file file))))
      (message "Generating bookmarks for %s" file)
      (recur (cdr files)
             new_page_num_counter
             (concat acc-bookmarks
                     cur-file-bookmarks
                     (shell-command-to-string
                      (format "pdf-my-demote-bookmarks %s %s"
                              file
                              (- cur-page-num-counter 1)))))))))

(gist link cause I couldn’t see this with syntax highlighting when replying
pdf-toc-gen.el · GitHub )

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Your Elixir code looks good to me, what’s your issue with it?

One thing I’d change is make it more obvious what part of a tuple you’re getting at the end e.g. not use elem but the then construct – just to make it little more readable.

But other than that the code looks good IMO.

Eiji

Eiji

Having 2-element Tuple as acc is not a shame. Many reduce-based solutions written by senior developers are using it. Your code is really good enough. :+1:

However there is other way to write same code. You can use a simple pattern matching solution, for example:

defmodule Example do
  # function header with default arguments
  def sample(files, bookmarks \\ "", counter \\ 1)

  # when done return only bookmarks string
  def sample([], bookmarks, _counter), do: bookmarks

  # tail recursion
  def sample([file | files], acc_bookmarks, acc_counter) do
  	# your logic goes here, for example
  	{file_bookmarks, file_counter} = process_file(file)
  	# recursively call this for rest files with updated bookmarks and counter
  	sample(files, acc_bookmarks <> file_bookmarks, acc_counter + file_counter)
  end
end

Personally I like separating accumulation and process logic, as in example above, which makes the code more clear.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews