sezaru

sezaru

Hello!

In my application, I have two apps called market_manager and candle_manager.

In app candle_manager, I have this tree structure:


In app market_manager, I have this one:
02
MarketManager.ManagersSupervisor is a dynamic supervisor that can start managers. When I start one Manager, I get this:
03
Also, the manager that I started will start a new child in CandleManager.Bitfinex.RealtimeSupervisor called CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor:

CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor is started with :temporary restart, and its PID is linked to the Manager one via Process.link.

So, for example, if Manager has PID <0.612.0> and CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor PID <0.613.0> there will be a link between these two (I can confirm via :observer).

Now, if I go to :observer and kill CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor, then Manager will receive the exit message and kill itself too (as expected).

But, if I kill the Manager instead, CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor is not killed and Manager will fail to restart since it will try to start a new CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor and fail with :already_started error.

So, my question is, does Process.link work correctly with Supervisors? How can I make CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor kill itself when Manager is killed?

Just for completeness, here is CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor code, it doesn’t have anything fancy that I can see breaking the Process.link logic.

defmodule CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime.Supervisor do
  use Supervisor

  alias CandleManager.Bitfinex.Realtime

  require Logger
  def start_link(args) do
    Supervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, args, name: __MODULE__)
  end

  @impl Supervisor
  def init([market_manager_pid: _pid] = args) do
    childrens = [
      {Realtime.Websocket.Server, []},
      {Realtime.Manager.Server, []},
      {Realtime.TradeToCandle.Server, []},
      {Realtime.TradeDiscarder.Server, args}
    ]

    Supervisor.init(childrens, strategy: :one_for_all, max_restarts: 0)
  end
end

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I see some problems with this design…

Supervisor are trapping exit signal, so they don’t have to shutdown when they receive an Exit signal from children. And they are linked to their children if started with start_link.

I see You give the responsability to start Supervisor to Manager, but You do it in a way it can fail if it is already started, this should not happen, You need to wrap the start of supervisor in a case statement.

Killing a supervisor is not something I would want to do programatically, and there is no reason to kill it if Manager dies.

You should solve this

fail with `:already_started` error.

instead of trying to kill bill :slight_smile:

sezaru

sezaru OP

Thanks for the answer @kokolegorille!

You are right, I don’t need to kill the supervisor, but I do need to kill all it’s child’s because I need to restart their state, that is why I created that supervisor, so I could kill only it and all the children’s would be killed to automatically.

Do you know a better solution for that? I can, for example, send the Manager pid to one of the supervisor children and link with then, that way when they are killed, the supervisor will die too (since I set max_restarts to 0), buy that seemed to me like a workaround.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Have you consider the one_for_all strategy?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

That is a good advice, set Manager and Supervisor under a one_for_all strategy… or rest_for_one

sezaru

sezaru OP

The reason I tried doing that way is to separate the processes into smaller apps instead of having a large nested single app tree.

I have read once somewhere that I should not create too large supervision trees.

Do you guys think it is ok to design it into a single app instead of separating then into smaller ones?

Thanks for your answers so far

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews