Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin

I’m thinking about using Elixir as the basis for a Braille Screen Input facility, to be used on Linux-based mobile phones (e.g., running postmarketOS). For development, I’d like to have copies of Phoenix and associated libraries available. However, I may not want these in the production version.

I’m pretty sure that I can accomplish this by hacking around in mix.exs, but I’m wondering whether there’s anything else I should consider or Best Practices I should follow. Help?

-r

Showing Posts 1 to 3

Eiji

Eiji

It’s described in Mix documentation:

You can also specify that certain dependencies are available only for certain environments:

{:some_test_dependency, "~> 1.0", only: :test}

Source: Mix — Mix v1.20.2

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

That’s pretty much what I had mind, but I was wondering whether there’s anything else I should bear in mind.

Eiji

Eiji

There is only one thing I have in mind …

Make sure you would use proper mix environment for compiling/running app and making a release. If :live_dashboard would be :dev-only dependency then you would not be able to use it when testing your app locally in prod environment. Simplest example:

MIX_ENV=prod mix phx.server # without LiveDashboard
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews