jschaeff
Hello,
I have a phoenix app that serves user requests by fetching data from a storage backend and stream them to the client, taking selection parameters from the query string.
There are constraints that force me to first write the data locally on a scratch storage space and then only stream it.
Therefore, I added at the end of my pipeline a plug to clean the scratch after the data has been streamed to the user (with Plug.send_chunks).
Called like this at the very end of endpoint plug calls:
plug WsdataselectWeb.Plug.Cleanup
But in some cases (internal error when managing a request or client aborting the connection), the pipeline is broken and the cleanup plug is not called.
I feel that my strategy is not the best. Would you suggest another way to do this ?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
kokolegorille
Maybe You could use Briefly[ briefly | Hex ], the file will live only for the time of the process.
dimitarvp
Definitely Briefly. Never had a problem with it, used it at least in 3 commercial projects. It just does what it says and gets out of the way.
jschaeff
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give it a try.
By the way, I love this forum, always nice people giving good advice !
rhcarvalho
I never used Briefly / was unaware of its existence. If you truly care about the cleaning up eventually (and timely) happening, I’d consider having an out-of-band recurring “task” that cleans up orphaned files, e.g. as an Oban cron job (optional, but gives you visibility into past executions).
From reading the Briefly docs, my takeaway is that it aligns the lifetime of a temp dir with the one of a Process. You can likely achieve the same thing without the external dependency if you care about that. It also gives you a way to “clean up all”, which is probably not what you want in the system you described, but you could build your own “clean up all stale temp dirs” code.
jschaeff
I switched to Briefly. Even though I’m not sure what is the extent of a process in my context (is it a request handling ie. the whole plug pipeline, is it a function end?), it seems to work super well.
After 3 days in pre-production, (handling 3 reqs/s), not one temporary directory is left behind. All cleaned up nicely, my problem is solved
Thanks for the idea of Oban, I might use it if I need other jobs scheduling for this app.
rhcarvalho
Indeed in normal circumstances you should not see any problem. The same would be true with explicitly creating and deleting files (i.e. no errors/process crashes in between).
You can simulate a hard crash (which could be caused by a deployment, NIF or other conditions) with
kill -9 BEAM_PID. Then, depending on your deployment strategy, your app comes back (e.g. restarted bysystemdorDocker) and you have a handful of directories left over (because it is impossible to guarantee a certain line of code will always execute, think a hard powerloss, no programming language/environment can give that guarantee).Maybe you’ll be fine ignoring that, maybe you account for it. Other than a scheduled job, you can also clean up on startup.
The idea of having visibility on when and how often those things are happening would also help you operate the system in the long-run. Again, may not be relevant in your particular case.
Those decisions are on you depending on your system and goals.
Wish you success!
krasenyp
Just for future reference, I usually use an extra process which monitors my “main” process, the one which does the work. In your case it would be the request/response pipeline. You can spawn a process and when it receives a down message, it will clean the temporary resources.
Some people are scared of spawning processes but processes are great exactly for managing lifecycle and concurrency.
jschaeff
A quick feedback.
The reason why Briefly was so efficient was because of me calling
Briefly.cleanup removes every temporary directories. Period.
Briefly.cleanup/0as a final step of my plug pipeline. I thoughts there was some kind of scope for Briefly to only remove the directories related to the current plug, but it was naive of meSo, this was not that great for my service
The solution I now deployed in pre-production is based on a GenServer running a periodic cleanup. Oban seemed oversized for this.
This was the first GenServer I wrote, and it seems to work great.