niku

niku

As you know, Erlang and Elixir have a good specifications/functions for binary. However, I haven’t found it for bitstring. Here is some examples I ran into. I’m happy to hear your thoughts and solutions. Please let me know :slight_smile:

Making a value

Sometimes you desire making a value as you read such as “00010010_10101011”.
It’s easy for binary with using integer literal starting 0b and :binary.encode_unsigned/1.

iex(1)> a = 0b00010010_10101011
4779
iex(2)> b = :binary.encode_unsigned(a)
<<18, 171>>
iex(3)> bit_size(b)
16
iex(4)> i b
Term
  <<18, 171>>
Data type
  BitString
Byte size
  2
Description
  This is a binary: a collection of bytes. It's printed with the `<<>>`
  syntax (as opposed to double quotes) because it is not a UTF-8 encoded
  binary (the first invalid byte being `<<171>>`)
Reference modules
  :binary
Implemented protocols
  Collectable, IEx.Info, Inspect, List.Chars, String.Chars

However, :binary.encode_unsigned/1 always makes a binary, I haven’t found the best practice for making a bitstring. Here is some techniques I use currently:

iex(1)> <<0::1, 1::1, 0::1, 1::1, 1::1>>
<<11::size(5)>>
iex(2)> # It's a little bit verbose but It works well
nil
iex(3)> <<0b01011::5>>
<<11::size(5)>
iex(4)> # It's simple but requires size explicitly
nil

and also using sigil which I have implemented.

iex(7)> import BitsSigils
BitsSigils
iex(8)> ~b(01011)
<<11::size(5)>>
iex(9)> # I like this, but needs to implement some codes
nil

Concatinating

For binary, We use <>/2 to concatinate.

iex(1)> a = "abc"
"abc"
iex(2)> b = "123"
"123"
iex(3)> a <> b
"abc123"

For bitstring, I can’t use both <>/2 and just <<>>/2.

iex(1)> a = <<1::1>>
<<1::size(1)>>
iex(2)> b = <<0::1>>
<<0::size(1)>>
iex(3)> a <> b
** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:101: :eval_bits.eval_exp_field1/6
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:92: :eval_bits.eval_field/3
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:68: :eval_bits.expr_grp/4
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:484: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (iex) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:257: IEx.Evaluator.handle_eval/5
    (iex) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:237: IEx.Evaluator.do_eval/3
iex(3)> <<a, b>>
** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:101: :eval_bits.eval_exp_field1/6
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:92: :eval_bits.eval_field/3
    (stdlib) eval_bits.erl:68: :eval_bits.expr_grp/4
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:484: :erl_eval.expr/5
    (iex) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:257: IEx.Evaluator.handle_eval/5
    (iex) lib/iex/evaluator.ex:237: IEx.Evaluator.do_eval/

So, I use <<>>/2 with segment types( ::bitstring).

iex(3)> <<a::bitstring, b::bitstring>>
<<2::size(2)>>

Converting into integer

For binary, we have nice functions thanks for :binary module. Unfortunary, It doesn’t work for bitstring.

iex(1)> :binary.decode_unsigned(<<1, 255>>)
511
iex(2)> :binary.decode_unsigned(<<1::1, 255>>)
** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) :binary.decode_unsigned(<<255, 1::size(1)>>)

I use pattern matching converting bitstring to integer. Please note you can only use integer or variable for size of bitstring in <<>>/2 .

iex(1)> a = <<1::1, 255>>
<<255, 1::size(1)>>
iex(2)> <<x::integer-size(bit_size(a))>> = a
** (CompileError) iex:2: size in bitstring expects an integer or a variable as argument, got: :erlang.bit_size(a)
    (elixir) src/elixir_bitstring.erl:197: :elixir_bitstring.expand_each_spec/5
    (elixir) src/elixir_bitstring.erl:168: :elixir_bitstring.expand_specs/6
    (elixir) src/elixir_bitstring.erl:41: :elixir_bitstring.expand/8
    (elixir) src/elixir_bitstring.erl:10: :elixir_bitstring.expand/4
iex(2)> b = bit_size(a)
9
iex(3)> <<x::integer-size(b)>> = a
<<255, 1::size(1)>>
iex(4)> x
511

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Based on a quick search in hex.pm I found these might be of help for you:

Didn’t notice any of them offering a merge of two bitstrings but maybe it can be made to work with their functions.

jmitchell

jmitchell

Nice overview of different challenges and approaches. Recently I’ve been asking some of these questions too.

Is the bitstring you expect the same as the :binary.encode_unsigned/1 result, except with the leading 0 bits removed? If so, when you’d prefer to start from an integer rather than explicit bits using your nifty BitSigils module, this may help:

def trim_leading_zeros(<<0::1, bs::bitstring>>) do
  trim_leading_zeros(bs)
end
def trim_leading_zeros(bs) when is_bitstring(bs), do: bs

Usage:

iex(5)> 4779 |> inspect(base: :binary)
"0b1001010101011"
iex(6)> 4779 |> :binary.encode_unsigned() |> trim_leading_zeros() |> inspect(base: :binary)
"<<0b10010101, 0b1011::size(5)>>"

This is the approach I’ve landed on too. You may appreciate this flatten_bitstrings/1 function. It’s similar to IO.iodata_to_binary/1, except it works on bitstrings as well as binaries.

def flatten_bitstrings([]), do: <<>>
def flatten_bitstrings([x]) when is_bitstring(x), do: x
def flatten_bitstrings([x]) when is_list(x), do: flatten_bitstrings(x)
def flatten_bitstrings([x | [y | zs]]) do
  <<flatten_bitstrings([x])::bitstring,
    flatten_bitstrings([y])::bitstring,
    flatten_bitstrings(zs)::bitstring>>
end

Usage:

iex(12)> flatten_bitstrings([<<1::1>>, <<0::1>>])
<<2::size(2)>>
iex(13)> flatten_bitstrings([[[<<1::1>>], [[<<0::1>>]]]])
<<2::size(2)>>

Assuming you still only care about unsigned integers, I’d do the inverse of what I suggested for converting from bitstrings to integers. That is, pad the front of the bitstring with zeros until it is a binary, and then use :binary.decode_unsigned/1.

def pad_leading_zeros(bs) when is_binary(bs), do: bs
def pad_leading_zeros(bs) when is_bitstring(bs) do
  pad_length = 8 - rem(bit_size(bs), 8)
  <<0::size(pad_length), bs::bitstring>>
end

Usage:

iex(25)> encoded = 4779 |> :binary.encode_unsigned() |> trim_leading_zeros()
<<149, 11::size(5)>>
iex(26)> decoded = encoded |> pad_leading_zeros() |> :binary.decode_unsigned()
4779

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews