How to Mastering GraphQL APIs?

Hello!

I am studying Elixir in action 2. Where excellent explained OTP in all their detail, I am amazed by this knowledge, thanks @sasajuric
But the book is drawing to a close…

I discover which book or course is taking next.

The next technology which I want to master is GraphQL.

I noticed the following books:

Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

and/or

this video course from Pragmatic Studio

However, I am not yet familiar with technologies such as Phoenix and Etco.

Therefore I have questions and am looking for advice about how to build my education plan for the next 1-2 months 6h daily.

1. Doest the learning materials which I mentioned above include most of the required knowledge to build production-ready APIs?
  2. Should I take additional courses before the start or after finish these GraphQL courses? Why?
  3. Will you recommend me some materials to learning how to build production-ready APIs on GraphQL?

My goal is to get a good foundation but stick to the 80/20 principle. Without accumulating no needed knowledge.

Thank you all for your advice!
( I will also address the question to @benwilson512 how to author of “Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe”)

I would learn Phoenix and ecto before the GraphQL book. You will need that background.

2 Likes

From the introduction to Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This book isn’t an introductory book on Elixir or Phoenix. While the book’s code should be straightforward reading for most developers, we will cover some more advanced topics that would benefit from a firm grounding in the Elixir language and the Phoenix web framework. We recommend the following supplementary books to readers who might be coming at this book from a different background:
• Programming Elixir ≥ 1.6 [Tho18]
• Programming Phoenix ≥ 1.4 [TV18]

If you’ve been through Elixir in Action, I would suggest reading Programming Phoenix next. It has a good intro to both Phoenix and Ecto and should set you up with what you need to know before reading the GraphQL book.

2 Likes

This is my recommendation too. If you already were comfortable with Ecto, I’d say go ahead and jump straight into Absinthe, since it doesn’t rely much on Phoenix specific features. However to actually do the examples in the Absinthe book you definitely interact with Ecto a lot.

1 Like

There is a deal on until the end of January where buying the course includes a copy of the book, so if these things are in your near future road map it might be something you want to take advantage of.

1 Like