rrrr

rrrr

What is Elixir way to “merge” / “map” two sparse maps onto one? I want to apply some function on both or single value from these maps. By “sparse” i mean that some keys are missing in another map. Like
a = %{1=>1, 2=>2, 4=>4}
b = %{0=>0, 1=>11, 2=>22, 5=>55}
looking for c=%{0=>f(0), 1=>f(1,11), …}

So far I have come with obtaining list of common keys and moving with it as index for both maps.

Closest built-in solution was Map.merge(map1, map2, fun), but it does not cover custom behavior when key is missing in one map.

Can solution be Stream’able?
Should I look for some non-default library?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

BradS2S

BradS2S

Could you write a function to handle balls without a key and then use it in map.merge?

Sorc96

Sorc96

Can you merge the maps first and then apply the function?

Map.merge(a, b, fn _key, value1, value2 -> {value1, value2} end)
|> Map.new(fn
  {key, {value1, value2}} -> {key, f(value1, value2)}
  {key, value} -> {key, f(value)}
end)

It could get a bit cleaner if Elixir had an equivalent of Ruby’s transform_values, then it wouldn’t be necessary to repeat the key manually.

I’m guessing you want to use Stream because of t hef function? In that case I think you could first use Stream.map and then convert the result back into a map.

BradS2S

BradS2S

a = %{1=>1, 2=>2, 4=>4}
b = %{0=>0, 1=>11, 2=>22, 5=>55}
c = %{}
keys = Map.merge(a, b) |> Map.keys

for key ← keys do
case {Map.take(a, [key]), Map.take(b, [key])} do
{a_value, b_value} when map_size(b_value) == 0 → Map.put(c, key, f.(a_value))
{a_value, b_value} when map_size(a_value) == 0 → Map.put(c, key, f.(b_value))
{a_value, b_value} → Map.put(c, key, ff.(a_value, b_value))
end
end

Would something like this work?

Sorc96

Sorc96

The function passed into merge only gets called if there is a conflict - both maps have the same key. That is why I thing this needs to be done in two steps. Merge first and resolve conflicts, then apply the function.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Map.new(Map.keys(a) ++ Map.keys(b), fn key -> 
  case {Map.fetch(a, key), Map.fetch(b, key)} do
    {:error, {:ok, val}} -> {key, f(val)}
    {{:ok, val}, :error} -> {key, f(val)}
    {{:ok, val_a}, {:ok, val_b}} -> {key, f(val_a, val_b)}
    # {:error, :error} not possible
  end
end)
hlx

hlx

map1 = %{a: 1, b: 2}
map2 = %{b: 1, c: 1}
fun = fn x, y -> x + y end

for {k1, v1} <- map1, {k2, v2} <- map2, reduce: %{} do
  acc ->
    if k1 == k2 do
      Map.put(acc, k1, fun.(v1, v2))
    else
      acc
      |> Map.put(k1, v1)
      |> Map.put(k2, v2)
    end
end

edit: after reviewing it myself this is not a great solution.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This one iterates map2 for each key/value pair in map1. That can become expensive rather quickly.

rrrr

rrrr OP

I feel this solution will have complexity of k1*k2, but in other solutions it’s something about (k1+k2) *2

adamu

adamu

Map.merge(a, b, fn _k, v1, v2 -> f(v1, v2) end)

edit: ah sorry, this doesn’t run the function if there’s no conflict. Knew it seemed too simple.

rrrr

rrrr OP

this is my current solution but written in a much nicer way =) thank you)

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews