tanweerdev

tanweerdev

I have some tests which depends on current time and am not able to find a solution for it so far. I have tried some mocking libraries like mock but it mocks the whole module and it fails. Any help will be really appreciated(if I only mock DateTime.utc_now everything is ok)

Note: tests depends heavily on other DateTime and Date functions so mocking whole modules is not a very good option(I have tried this also but failed due to very complex cases and I need this in many tests)

Actual test: I have two dates, start date and end date as input to a function which I am trying to test. Before calling the function for test purpose I insert some data relevent to the current week(current dat to next seven days). Now the function will get current datetime and check for specific days(each record will tell if it applies to current day of the week and for current time period range on which being iterated -> start and end dates).
e.g one record applies for mon → 2:12 to 3:13

Showing Posts 1 to 5

idi527

idi527

Is it possible for you to make the current time an argument into the function, just like start date and end date? Then you probably wouldn’t need to mock it.

tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

Its possible(not very good option but yes) and I think the only solution (but it will fail in some cases e.g controllers shouldn’t send current date as option to this context method. but for testing context itself it will work)

nresni

nresni

Or define your own function/service MyDateTime.utc_now/0 and mock it in your tests.

idi527

idi527

not very good option but yes
but it will fail in some cases e.g controllers shouldn’t send current date as option to this context method.

Some other function in your context can do that.

# in controller
def post(conn, params) do
  # ...
  Context.do_stuff(with: command)
  # ...
end

# in your context
def do_stuff(with: %Command{...} = command) do
  do_stuff(with: command, time: DateTime.utc_now())
end

# false, since it's used directly only in tests
@doc false
def do_stuff(with: command, time: time) do # this is what you test
  # ... your logic
end
tanweerdev

tanweerdev OP

Thank you sooo much @idi527 for giving me great options. But @nresni 's answer suits best for my needs.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews