oliveiragahenrique

oliveiragahenrique

I’m building a system which must have a queue and a kind of consumer, that will consume the events of the queue and remove them only if succeeds.

I’m thinking about model the queue and the consumer as different gen servers:

Queue process: Handle insert, get first event and delete operations
Consumer process: Handle consume operation (series of steps over the event data, which may fail)

Both processes have a 1:1 relationship, which means a specific queue has only one consumer and the consumer only consumes from one queue.

The consumer will call it self periodically, requesting to consume an event! This processes consist in a series of calls to the queue process, ultimately removing the event from the queue.

I’m currently thinking about some decisions:

1 - Would be useful to separate the registration of both process under two different Registry?
2 - Since consumer do not make sense without a queue, and the consumer can crash more easily, I was thinking if the Queue process could supervise the consumer process, thoughts on this?

How would you guys solve it, have some repository which implements something similar?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Producer, Consumer… => GenStage

And other related tools, like Flow and Broadway. in case of error, it could be pushed into an error queue.

It’s nice to build something like this, but GenStage allow creation of pipeline of Producer, Consumer/Producer, Consumer with back pressure support.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews